Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

parents vs boyfriend

User Profile: urqueenhail
urqueenhail February 18th, 2021

my mom used to like my Significant other, and we have been dating for almost a year. recently she found out about him getting introuble and she was not happy. its no use to change her mind. but i am 18 but not graduating till may. I have plans of moving out but am also scared to tell them i will he moving out with him this summer.

1
User Profile: thoughtfulmomma
thoughtfulmomma February 18th, 2021

@urqueenhail

Well, I don't know your whole family situation, so I can only speak about what you've written. My response is written from the perspective of a Mom.

If my child was dating someone that did something terrible, or wrong - I wouldn't want my child anywhere near him. "Getting in trouble" means a lot of different things. For example, if he skipped school and had you with him, I'd be mad, have a talking to you, to him, and to his parents. And you'd be grounded (doesn't matter that you're 18). But, I'd cool off and eventually let you see each other again.

But, if "getting in trouble" means crime - then yeah, he's done. He won't be anywhere near my daughter.

As a mom, I will protect my child from all hurt, pain and problems - as much as I can. You may not like it, and you may think you know better. But, sometimes parents do know better. Sometimes we've lived through things that you don't know about, so when we see you getting close to making mistakes or getting into situation we've been through, we're going to tell you to stop, to do something different.

Anyway, it's hard to see the opinion of your parents, but it's important to try and understand where they're coming from, even if you don't always agree.