Going No Contact with My Parents
Hi everyone. Despite the title implying some pretty heavy decisions, I am happier than I have been in FIFTEEN YEARS. I am 31 yo and have had some crazy familial drama in the past 3 years that opened up a ton of old wounds regarding emotional and physical abuse as a child.
One year ago, I told my parents I needed time away from them, but in hindsight, I realize this was time I was allowing them to reflect on the situation.
Come late October, they reached out to me and asked to speak and I naively thought "maybe this is their apology." I was wrong. Instead, they wanted to know what was wrong, as though I hadn't explained it a million times before.
The conversation ended poorly and I told them "I want an apology or I want you out of my life."
The next week, my mom called and cheerfully asked me to come to Thanksgiving. This is her thing: she acts like nothing is wrong (like I'll just get over 30 years of abuse) and then acts all offended when I tell her no... I'm not spending Thanksgiving with you.
Then my dad texts me asking me to watch their dog while they go on vacation. I almost just gave in because the dog is the only empathetic creature in their home, but I said no.
He reached out to me two more times to ask me to watch the dog, telling me if I don't do it, they'll have to cancel their trip and they can't get their money back... like it's my fault. (They love to guilt me into things) I stood my ground. NO.
I asked for an apology explicitly and they not only blatantly ignored it, they had the audacity to ask me to do them a favor!!
Then my dad starts sending me photos of him and I when I was a child, smiling as I sat in his lap. He took a picture of a card I gave him where I had written "I'll always love you." Clear and obvious manipulation.
I've been in the habit of googling these situations and found that this isn't so rare. One person explained that manipulators do this because they are reminded of a time when I couldn't fight back and that made a lot of sense to me.
At 31, I'm done fighting back. They don't deserve it. I'm learning to love myself for the first time ever. I'm done worrying about what they think of me. I'm done trying to make them change when they are incapable of understanding.
I feel freer and happier than I have since I was a teenager. I'm only writing this because I hope it helps anyone else who might be in a similar situation. Know that letting go is the first step to being a happier, more whole YOU.
@plum ... Hi, sending lots of love to you ❤️
Just opened the App and saw your post, I was amazed that was it only me having these thoughts or is there also someone else having the same thoughts? So this might be a sign from universe that yes, there are many people who are facing the same issues as I have.
I am also in the same situation..trying to figure out if I should live with my family or to leave them forever.
Hi @neatStrawberries399
I completely understand. I spent a lot of time going back and forth because, let's be honest, no one wants any relationship to come to this, especially with your parents. And if you're like me, you're social media feels like it's flooded with picture-perfect family relationships. I always wanted what they had, or what it looks like they have.
I found that googling specific situations helped me figure out just how not alone I was. Researching emotionally immature parents put a lot of things into perspective and helped me to understand just how common these kinds of relationships are.
Wishing you all the best on your journey. You are not alone!!
@plumDrum6386
While I am very sorry you went through this, I’m also glad that you kept standing your ground. I’m proud of you for doing that. Great job!
“At 31, I'm done fighting back. They don't deserve it. I'm learning to love myself for the first time ever. I'm done worrying about what they think of me. I'm done trying to make them change when they are incapable of understanding.
I feel freer and happier than I have since I was a teenager. I'm only writing this because I hope it helps anyone else who might be in a similar situation. Know that letting go is the first step to being a happier, more whole YOU.“
Great news! I’m so happy for you! You deserve this!