Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A Caregivers Bill of Rights

User Profile: PeaceLoveandPaws
PeaceLoveandPaws May 12th, 2021

A Caregiver’s Bill of Rights

I have the right . . .

To take care of myself. This is not an act of selfishness. It will give me the capacity to take better care of my relative.

To seek help from others even though my relative may object. I recognize the limits of my own endurance and strength.

To maintain facets of my own life that do not include the person I care for, just as I would if he or she were healthy. I know that I do everything that I reasonably can for this person, and I have the right to do some things for myself.

To get angry, be depressed, and express other difficult feelings occasionally.

To reject any attempt by my relative (either conscious or unconscious) to manipulate me through guilt, anger, or depression.

To receive consideration, affection, forgiveness, and acceptance for what I do for my loved one for as long as I offer these qualities in return.

To take pride in what I am accomplishing and to applaud the courage it has sometimes taken to meet the needs of my relative.

To protect my individuality and my right to make a life for myself that will sustain me in the time when my relative no longer needs my full-time help.

To expect and demand that as new strides are made in finding resources to aid physically and mentally impaired older persons in our country, similar strides will be made toward aiding and supporting caregivers.

To ___________________________________________________
(Add you own statement of rights to this list. Read the list to yourself every day.)

Source: www.Cargiver.org, A Caregiver’s Bill of Rights - Family Caregiver Alliance

6
User Profile: BellaHealy2010
BellaHealy2010 May 13th, 2021

Thank you. This is exactly what we need, what we deserve to remember in times of doubt, what every caregiver needs to live for and hear… because we all get lost sometimes.

User Profile: DaisyBeeBlooming
DaisyBeeBlooming May 20th, 2021

Wow...What a great reminder. Bless you @PeaceLoveandPaws❤

1 reply
User Profile: PeaceLoveandPaws
PeaceLoveandPaws OP May 20th, 2021

@DaisyBeeBlooming

Thank you.

load more
User Profile: reservedCat8887
reservedCat8887 July 14th, 2021

That is amazing! Thank you!

1 reply
User Profile: reservedCat8887
reservedCat8887 July 14th, 2021

@sglow maybe this could be helpful with your friend?

1 reply
User Profile: sglow
sglow August 1st, 2021

Thank you for thinking of me 🙂

load more
load more