Caregiver to a friend
I feel like a fraud writing in this group but I’m struggling right now. My best friend moved in with me a couple of years ago because she had to sell her house. It was supposed to be temporary but it has lasted a lot longer and during that time her health has deteriorated. She has fibromyalgia and central sensitisation syndrome and is in pain a lot. It’s meant she struggles to drive, walk anywhere, lift her dinner plate etc etc. So I’m looking after her. I’ve gone from a life of independence and coming and going as I please to one where I get a guilt trip if I need to go out, even if it’s just to buy food for both of us, because she can’t do it herself. She does manage a trip to her mum once a week but saves up all of her energy for this and so doesn’t get to see her friends etc. She was also independent and busy and her life has been stolen from her. She is (understandably) angry and upset a lot of the time, and it’s often directed at me. She loses her temper so quickly, it’s becoming an increasingly difficult relationship and I can tell it’s affecting my mental health. She wants to continue living with me and I’m happy to do this so I can help her rather than have her back at home with her elderly mother, but not if I am screamed and shouted at every day. I don’t know why I posted all that, guess I just needed to get it off my chest!
I understand, its okay. You can tell her not to shout at you and try to be calm. Its okay to get things of your chest, we are here for you! ![]()
Definitely not a fraud. 😊 It's very hard to be a full time care givers to a friend. It's the same dynamics as being a full time care giver for family. Venting helps alot especially when other can completely understand. It's really awesome of you do be able to care for her long term. I too have fibromyalgia and finding the correct balance of medications can be a long process. Have you been able to conversations about boundaries? You still need time for you too. Does she qualify for any home services so you can lighten your load?