Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

It's been awhile...

User Profile: Novagurl1978
Novagurl1978 July 6th, 2023

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I have posted on 7cups. Last yall heard from me, I was looking at having to quit my job to take care of my mom full time. And then it was guilt over putting her in a care home. Well, all of that happened.... but things have only continued to decline, and as of today, now she is on hospice because her cancer has spread and her body is too weak for treatment.

I don't know what to do other than to try to stay busy. I am not sleeping well and find myself taking naps midday now. I have never been one to take naps. I also have to be the support for my younger brother who is autistic, because now that our mom can't, I have to take care of him.

On top of all of this, I also have to break my lease and move into a smaller apartment because my mom will no longer be renting a room, and the financial burden is overwhelming.

She has been our only parent all of our lives. I was 2 when her and my dad divorced, and 9 when my dad died. We never knew him.

I am losing my mom. My best friend... my confidant... and I have to handle all of this on my own. All of the medical decisions, all of the affairs, belongings... everything because Noone else will.

I am afraid that I have a mental breakdown around the corner.... and I don't know how to stop it.

I don't know if any of you have been through something similar to this, but I need an ear.

TIA

1
User Profile: mytwistedsoul
mytwistedsoul July 6th, 2023

@Novagurl1978 Hey :) I am so sorry for all that you're going through. Cancer is brutal. My father was just diagnosed in April with stage 4. Tbh - I try not to think about it but - sometimes it's all I think about

I'm sorry you haven't been sleeping well. It can be hard to take the time to rest - I'm not one for naps either but right now try to let yourself have those naps. Because you have so many people and things that need taken care of. All those things and having to be support for your brother - and then to have to be your own support - not having anyone to talk to about what you're dealing with and how all of it makes you feel :(

Take time for yourself - I know it's hard right now with everything going on. But even 5 or 10 minutes can feel like a blessing. Make sure you eat - because that gives your body fuel too. When you can and if you can - let yourself laugh alittle. Write - either a private journal or here. There's a number of sites that offer support for people who have a parent or spouse with cancer. I've been checking them out myself but haven't picked anything yet

I'm not a listener and I won't have alot of answers but I'm here if you need someone to talk to ❤️ Be gentle with yourself