Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I am starting to wonder if my colleague is even a friend

User Profile: Summershy
Summershy April 25th, 2023

Hi:

I have been close with a colleague for quite a few years. However, I am starting to wonder if she is really my friend.


Last week, I cried because I am not where I want to be career-wise. When we talked she bragged about how she learned to be content in her position and has found happiness since. Yeah good for her but I am not her.


When I was talking to her yesterday about how I felt and how I was finding strategies that could help me feel better about myself, she goes.


”Oh you aren’t feeling that way now are you?”


Then when I was talking about finding a grad program, she told me that I need to learn to be happy where I am, otherwise I will never be happy.


While I get what she is saying, I somehow get the feeling that she wants me to do well but doesn’t want to see me doing better than her.

2
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 April 25th, 2023

@Summershy

I know it is hard as a work friend is easy to share similar interests etc......... but i agree she sounds like she does not want you to move on or ahead of her because she is content with her position...

User Profile: Summershy
Summershy OP April 25th, 2023

@toughTiger6481

However, I need to stop telling her my life plans and just have a regular relationship. In the mean time, focus on working towards those goals.

load more