Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have friends, but don’t feel like I can talk to them about my personal life

Hi everyone! I just wanted to vent a little on here. I’m noticing that I have a problem where I have plenty of friends, but none that I feel comfortable sharing personal details of my life with (i.e. my relationship). I’m not sure why I feel this way, but it feels impossible to talk to them. Just wanted to get that off my chest because it’s a big problem I’ve noticed lately and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or anything at all. Thank you all!

10
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 July 24th

@loyalChestnut4252 

  I have noticed we make superficial connections anymore sure we hang out we have a good time in their company, but deeper connections are missing. there need to be levels of "friends" maybe more than mere acquaintances but without the ability to share deeply it seems shallow.   

perhaps we lost the art of real friendship many years ago people had friend they could be open with and not worry about being judged or worse have it spread in a social post.   maybe older generations had less need of counseling and therapy because we had those close friends who listened and were trustworthy to keep our thoughts safe. 

you are not alone in not knowing if you could share...... and feel may still feel alone even with lots of friends. 

User Profile: amusingPlum9707
amusingPlum9707 July 24th

@loyalChestnut4252 Sharing personal things- such as your relationship- can be a big step in a friendship, and I understand that you might feel like you’re not quite ready for that yet, which is absolutely okay. However, even if you aren’t too close with these people, even telling just one person might bring you closer and build trust. If not, it tells you what kind of a friend they are. I struggled for a while to talk to my friends about something, but even though I wanted to get it off my chest, I didn’t feel like the timing was right. I realized, though, that if I spent too long worrying about what would happen, I might never get around to it. When I did end up telling two of my friends, they were very supportive, which made me feel better about everything. It doesn’t always go like that, yes, but even just trying can help you learn new things. In the end, though, they are your boundaries, and if you feel like maybe you’re not ready, don’t feel like you’re letting anyone down by taking your time.

Hey, I’m in same boat and I hear you!

User Profile: mgbggbmgp
mgbggbmgp July 26th

@loyalChestnut4252

Do you not trust your friends? Do you have a best friend? I remember at one of my old job, I made friends with a group of my coworkers, we were all girls. Then we would hand out all the time outside of work. For years after we all left, we still hung out and considered each other best friends! But there was this one girl who was closer to the other girls and not so much Me, I didn’t consider her one of my best friends. Everyone shared everything about her life, but that one specific girl didn’t. She was always somehow so private. Everyone always told her, that we’ve known her for years but at the same time we all felt like we didn’t know her at all. It was the strangest thing, and till this day I always wonder why she never shared her things about her life.

User Profile: loyalPrune7229
loyalPrune7229 July 27th

We can talk

User Profile: loyalPrune7229
loyalPrune7229 July 27th

We can talk

User Profile: Ocelot1628
Ocelot1628 July 28th

@loyalChestnut4252

Hi, im a 16 year old and ahve recently noticed the exact same thing with multiple of my friends. I dont have solutions :( but i just wanted you to know i am in a similar situation

> First, I want to tell you something: not everyone who has many friends is truly happy.

I’m someone who has many friends, and I’m always there for them and their problems, but when I have my own struggles, I often find only a few people by my side… and recently, even fewer.

So I want you to know that you’re not the only one who feels this way. Many people go through the same thing but don’t talk about it.

But I think it’s a beautiful thing that you had the courage to write and express what you’re going through.

I’m here whenever you want to talk about anything. 🤍

My love❤

Roma

User Profile: Ocelot1628
Ocelot1628 July 29th

@emotionalHuman4653

Hi Roma,

i wanted to say im also the same way - i often am surrounded by lots friends but feel as if im on the outside. They all have their close friends and theyre not me. Just wanted to say youre not alone and we are here with and for you :) 

"Thank you for your kind words. It really means a lot to know that I’m not the only one who feels this way. I hope we can all find people who truly understand us. 🩷

load more
load more