Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Still working through a toxic friendship from childhood

User Profile: Summershy
Summershy January 23rd, 2024

Hi:

History:

First of all, I want to put it out there that I had some very toxic friends from mid-childhood into early adulthood.   These "Friends" consisted of a mother and her daughter who I thought was my friend.   I also wanted to put it out there that I had not seen either of them in over 20 years and nor have I spoken to them in 13 years.   However, we were not close but I touched base with them now and then.   It was during those last interactions that I realized that I kept getting frustrated by spinning my wheels in realizing that they were not interested in me.   I had also tried to confront my former childhood friend about why she and her mom treated me the way they did.    As a result, I ended up working through three years of anger.  

Why

I looked forward to us having a lifelong friendship past childhood which did not work out.  

Now

In the most recent years, as I have met other friends and have been keeping busy, I have not thought about them that much.   However,  some more anger and hurt were recently triggered after I brought up a bizarre stunt that her mom pulled on my mom and me nearly 30 years ago. 

Since then I have been talking about what the relationship looked like with my counselor.   Though I still feel the stage of anger, I have also come to the acceptance that they were not the right friends. 


2
User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 January 26th, 2024

@Summershy

giving this a bump for you

bump.gif

1 reply
User Profile: Summershy
Summershy OP January 27th, 2024

Thank you and I forgot to add something else. I became the angriest because get anywhere with her when confronting her. She didn’t bother to acknowledge them and instead evaded them with a brush off.


“I’m sorry but I have been so busy, I will call you in a few days.” At that point I told her never to contact me any further.


However, I did not handle myself very well

load more