Can someone give me advice? I feel insecure and clingy with my best friends.
I have this attitude of always trying to please other people because I’m afraid they’ll think badly of me. But after pleasing them, I curse them excessively behind their backs. I don’t let them hear it because I care a lot about my reputation. Sometimes, I even tell my friends exaggerated or untrue stories about how others “abused” my kindness, just so I can appear like a victim. When they pity me, I feel satisfied.
Another issue I notice in myself is that I easily get annoyed whenever my best friend scores higher than me. I act like I’m happy for them and congratulate them, but deep inside I feel jealous and irritated. Sometimes I even say things like, “Why did you get a higher score than me? You just copied anyway,” in a joking tone....though in truth, I really feel bothered.
I also get irritated when my best friend talks to someone else. I want to be their only best friend, so when they’re with others, I feel threatened. I end up clinging to them just to show that we’re closer.
Lastly, I have two best friends, let’s call them BFF A and BFF B. One time, I asked them who their favorite was. BFF A said I was their favorite, but BFF B said their favorite was BFF A. That made me feel annoyed and jealous, because I want to be the only favorite even though we’re a trio. I don’t like it when the two of them spend time together or talk too much, because I prefer having their attention focused on me.
@Shinara
sooner or later your situation may backfire ...... the stories the fake congratulations for their wins and asking for reassurance will in time drive others away. i am sure they have considered your stories and if details do not match they know you are faking.... what do you think they say about you behind your back?
If you want people to really like you .......and really appreciate your friendship... then let them know you. not some people pleasing fake version. I do not think you are proud of your actions and it is not holding on to them but could eventually drive them away. Get your reassurance from you liking yourself ........when you do people are drawn to that. People appreciate honesty and people who value themselves.