Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Ive messed up my friendships and I wanna get better

User Profile: cyanApple4041
cyanApple4041 February 18th

Hello I have recently realized how much emotional, physical, and mental pain I’ve put on my friends. I have been saying that I would change for years but I’ve never did, until today where I’m finally forced to deal with the consequences of my actions or else I’ll lose the people who care about me forever.

I would like some advice from anyone so I can learn how to not only be a better friend, but so I can know what’s keeping me from growing. I know what my problems are I just won’t allow myself to fix them.

2
User Profile: Clio9876
Clio9876 February 18th

@cyanApple4041

I find that fear and avoidance are the normal culprits.

Fear takes so many forms, it's often hard to recognise. Aggression, clowning about and procrastination are normally all based in fear.

And overcoming fear is much harder than most imagine. Avoidance of something, including change, becomes self rewarding and a very hard habit to break.

It can really help finding someone to talk thru exactly what it is that you are doing, and what you want to do instead. Speaking it out loud can really help break some barriers.

Hi cyanApple4041,

I hope you are well. I wanted to share that certain things are more complex than we may realize. Our past sometimes has a way of affecting us more than we know. To me, it sounds like a simple advice isn't enough. In my case, therapy helped in more ways than I thought it would. Therapy helped me understand why I think a certain way, do certain things, why some things affect me, and the biggest one was gaining a new perspective. You have the right mindset towards this, to learn. I believe that it's also important to ask the right people for help that can guide you in the right direction for your specific needs. I hope that this advice will help. Most important, be kind to yourself. The more you'll learn to understand yourself better and do what's best for you, the better of a friend you can be to others. It will be ok. It all takes time and you will get there. We're all learning different things that we need to learn. Not one person has it all figured out. Stay awesome and take care of yourselve! I'll check back if you need to talk. I hope everything will get better for you. May God bless you! 😊