Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #35: Why do we often struggle to prioritize our mental health over other responsibilities?

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver March 21st, 2024

Hello all! 

Last week we discussed: What is a long term goal you have? If you haven't checked yet, please click here to add your thoughts. 

This week's prompt-  Why do we often struggle to prioritize our mental health over other responsibilities?


The struggle to prioritize our mental health over other responsibilities is a complex issue influenced by many factors. But also it is essential to recognize the importance of mental well-being and make a conscious effort to prioritize self-care in our daily lives. Let's get started and discuss our thoughts and emotions on this topic. 


Also, it is time for periodic feedback on these weekly prompts. 

  • On a scale of 1-10, how helpful did you find these discussions so far? (10 being most helpful) 
  • What specific topics related to general mental health would you be interested in learning more about or discussing further?

Join us in the 24/7 General Support Group Chat to share and support each other.


focus-on-whats-important-franky-doyle.gif
70
User Profile: NotAllHere713
NotAllHere713 June 24th, 2024

@ASilentObserver 

Why do we often struggle to prioritize our mental health over other responsibilities?

I didn't decide to prioritize my mental health until recently. I made this decision because I felt that something was going to break and it would be me. Some of the struggles I had were 1. the person I am the closest to, does not believe in psychologist and therapists ( this is also the person at the root of my mental health issues- he also has issues he refuses to address.) 2. It is very difficult to find the right psychologist and therapist. you have to make an appointment with a complete stranger. In the past, the people that I went to for help didn't do anything. They just sat there and listened. 3. Another issue is trying to find the right person based on your insurance provider. You are limited to their list and many of them do not accept new patients or are booked for the next 3 months. 4. Many people (depending on their background) view mental health issues as a taboo subject so its difficult to get help because they don't know how to deal with it or even talk about it. 

2 replies
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP June 27th, 2024

@NotAllHere713 that feels like finding the right support has been challenging for you. What makes you think that something might break if you don't prioritize your mental health?


1 reply
User Profile: NotAllHere713
NotAllHere713 June 27th, 2024

@ASilentObserver 

It's just a feeling that's been growing, like having a dark shadow following you. I have been controlling my emotions for so long that if something happens, I'll crack and fall apart. At other times I think about ways that I could pass so I don't have to suffer anymore. Sometimes it's wishful thinking. Most of the time its in the form of "what would happen if.... (some kind of accident)?" There is a term for this type of thinking. No. I don't plan on hurting myself. I think about how many people would miss me if I was gone. I don't think many people would notice, except my kids. I don't know what would happen to them if I'm gone. 

load more
load more