Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Struggling with family and new dog

User Profile: daydreamer2421
daydreamer2421 July 30th, 2025

my family impulsively adopted a puppy recently without discussing it with everyone. My two dogs died less than two years ago and I’m still having a really hard time with losing them. We lost four cats and two dogs within only a little over a year, and it’s been so hard. I love our new puppy so much but sometimes it’s hard when I wasn’t really ready for a new dog yet. My family keeps using my old dogs leashes for her and now they lost one and just moved onto the next one from my old dogs. This is really hard because now anytime I take our new puppy out on a walk I have to use my old dogs leashes and I want what we use to just be for the new puppy, not from my old dogs. And I don’t have a license or car and can hardly get rides places so it’s hard for me to go get her a new leash myself. What do I do?

2
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 July 31st, 2025

@daydreamer2421

I can understand as i recently lost a dog after 11 years of being my constant.... i do not get those that think new puppy or pet will ease our grief ... 

right now partner agrees but i fear they will decide they want another and i can not do it... partner wanted to offer bowls and toys to others and i just boxed up and hid too fresh to think of giving away a piece of my memories of my dog. 

User Profile: mytwistedsoul
mytwistedsoul July 31st, 2025

@daydreamer2421 I'm so sorry for your loss. I can understand you not being ready yet. Everyone grieves at their own pace. The last dog I had, I lost a year and a half ago. I had people telling me soon after to get another dog. My heart wasn't ready for that. To me it felt like I was betraying her. I've started to sort of look at puppies because a part of me is wanting that canine companionship now. 

Getting a new puppy should have been a household discussion and things could have been gotten in advance for a new puppy. New collar, leash and toys because all those things from your other dogs hold memories for you. 
Can you order things from Amazon? You could get the new puppy a leash or two and anything else it might need without having to make a trip anywhere