Lows After Exercise Highs
Hi all. Does anyone ever experience depressive episodes after exercising? I feel great and powerful while I'm working out or hiking with my pups, but then once I'm done, I feel like curling into a tiny ball and sinking into a sad funk. It's really frustrating and demotivating. I would love some advise on how to prevent it.
Idk if this is right but I just constantly try to stay busy, reading books, building new things, trying new activities, helping people, trying video games and etc. I work out a lot too but I find if I do it do much I get into a slump like you, I'm guessing it's cause of brain chemicals, so I try to find other things aside from working out to enjoy.
What makes you feel good from the exercise
Is it the adrenaline/blood pumping .... or is it the being outside
If it is the adrenaline etc .... maybe you can do some cardio/physical exercise indoors that would help to keep the heart rate going
How is your recovery after exercise.... do you have any aches/pains or tiredness?
Look into your nutrition after you have completed your exercise .... ideally want things like slow burning complex carbs/protein .... i find that betroot juice and bananas helps me a lot ... you need to work out the food that is right for you
I dont know the exact science but i think it could be like blood sugar high/lows
where you drink a sugary soda ... you feel high from the sugar ... but then your blood sugar level crashes and you feel crap ... whereas if you eat small high quality snacks regularly ... you will feel a lot better
@MiscellaneousFool1 Not the same thing, but I experience energy crashes that can last a few days. I played around with foods and found a quick sugar source after working out reduced that effect the most.
Hopefully some trial and error can help you too, I had tried both protein and carbs before and after. Ensuring you're hydrated enough is something to watch too. Also try some cool downs, slow paced walking or stretching afterwards.
Otherwise, the suggestion above to do enjoyable things is what I would go to next. Hope you find something that works well with preventing it!