Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

FITNESS FRIDAY 10/11/19 - (FINDING THE "AWE" IN ACTIVITY)

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean October 11th, 2019

HEY EVERYONE!

WELCOME TO "FITNESS FRIDAY"!

Today we will chat about "Finding the Awe In Activity"~ What is "AWE"??

**"AWE" is the feeling of "Wonder or Amazement" we get when we see something big, beautiful or impressive!.. (Like the Ocean!, or a rainbow etc..) and Experiencing it can boost your sense of "Well-being" and life satisfaction.

**Research shows there's another suprising benefit~ When you feel "Awe-struck" during physical activity you might enjoy what you are doing more!... The minutes pass faster, you forget about achy muscles or how much further you might have to go!

WHAT TO DO:

GET OUTDOORS

Pick a place you haven't had time to explore before! Leave your phone or turn it off so you can focus on your surroundings.

START MOVING

Walking, biking, skating (or WHATEVER appeals to you). Pay attention to your breathing, the feeling of the ground beneath you, the sounds around you, and everything else you're sensing.

NOTICE WHAT INSPIRES YOU OR INTRIGUES YOU

The open spaces you see? Flowers? Old Houses? Focus on the interesting details.

PRACTICE

The more you practice, the more you will recognize opportunites for "Awe" when you're active, and at other moments in your daily life.

**HAVE YOU EVER FOUND THE "AWE" IN ACTIVITY? WHAT WERE YOU DOING? WHAT WAS IT THAT INSPIRED OR INTRIGUED YOU DURING THIS ACTIVITY?!

15
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP October 11th, 2019

**Off the top of my head, I have found the "AWE" in activity simply by doing the things that I found that I like or love~ (For instance Dancing)........I've found "AWE" in the way another instructor might perform a routine, or a certain move, that it either challenged me, OR inspired me to take it to my own classes....

**Of course theres also being anywhere near water~ I have found the "AWE" in simply walking my dog at the Lake and watching the water waves, the sun shine down on the water, or the way the water moves~ ....Or when I'm at the Ocean and I'm simply walking along the beach feeling the Ocean breeze, and the smooth sand under my feet..hearing the waves crash~..... It doesn't even feel like I'm putting forth effort even though I am and the next thing I know so much time has gone by and I've done so much walking!...

3 replies
User Profile: Zulegirl
Zulegirl October 11th, 2019

@PoliteOcean

Heyyyyyy i feel the same way when I dance love!! Hope to chat soon

User Profile: StanDaMan78
StanDaMan78 October 17th, 2019

@PoliteOcean

Do you have a particular style of dance that you are fond of? I love hip hop

1 reply
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP October 17th, 2019

@StanDaMan78

Hey there!

Yes I LOVE Hip Hop!... I'm still "Old Skool" and love to watch 'things like 'Pop-locking, and Breakdancing" from back in the day~ And feel today's Hip Hop is a more "evolved" way of that time. I could do Hip Hop for hours. When the 'beat hits my feet' nothing can get me off the floor~

load more
load more
User Profile: lavenderpeach1107
lavenderpeach1107 October 11th, 2019

@PoliteOcean I actually do have "AWE" moments in my workouts. I walk outside everyday and I bring my phone with me to listen to piano music and I pay attention to the color of the sky, the clouds floating by, the brids singing in the trees... I also listen to the sounds of children playing on the play ground and I focus on the colors of the cars that pass by me. I also pay attention to the smells around me. Right now since it is getting so cold, it's been smelling like a fireplace so I have just been on cloud 9!!!

I recently started doing in home workouts because I am not a big fan of working out in front of others! I use an exercise program from a book called, The Abs Diet, and it has really been changing my life. You don't think the workouts will be tough when you first look at what you have to do but man do I get a great work out out of it and I'm always sore so hopefully I am doing it the right way!

Have a beautiful day!

2 replies
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP October 12th, 2019

@lavenderpeach1107

Wow! What a great post and Great response!....Love it!

I will certainly have to check out your book 'The Abs Diet"!?.. You've got me intriguged now! lol...

Thank you so much for sharing your "Awe" moments!

1 reply
User Profile: lavenderpeach1107
lavenderpeach1107 October 12th, 2019

@PoliteOcean Oh my gosh thank you so much!!! You are so kind! And I really think you will enjoy the book!

load more
load more
User Profile: PeppermintStar0912
PeppermintStar0912 October 11th, 2019

@PoliteOcean Great post! My favorite thing to do is get outdoors for my exercise! I love walking and being mindful of everything that is going on around me. I find the "AWE" moment everytime I step out of my house and begin my walk. The landscape is just breathtaking and it makes it so much easier to continue living a healthy lifestyle and exercise program when you love what you do!!

2 replies
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP October 12th, 2019

@baylinAnderson123

Thank you! So glad that you found this beneficial!.....

I love your comment (As its also "My" own motto when it comes to working out and activity)......and thats "Find something you LOVE to do"!...(As it will never seem like work!)...Great job! Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

1 reply
User Profile: PeppermintStar0912
PeppermintStar0912 October 12th, 2019

@PoliteOcean You are so welcome!!

load more
load more
User Profile: Zulegirl
Zulegirl October 11th, 2019

@PoliteOcean

Outdoors and music and dancing..also volleyball.

1 reply
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP October 12th, 2019

@Zulegirl

Nice! I love all those things too... Its been forever since I've played Volleyball though.. but so much fun. (Not as fun as dancing though! lolol) Thanks so much for sharing!

load more
User Profile: StanDaMan78
StanDaMan78 October 12th, 2019

Great post!

well, I found my awe when I started the saxophone a week ago. Although I was unable to rent the soprano sax, Im now content with the alto, which sounds lower pitched. The beginning was a bit strenuating but prior experience in clarinet for four years helped a lot. Playing the sax for only a few hours convinced me that this is the it instrument and I vow to play it for the rest of my life. My only regret is not starting it when I was young.

2 replies
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP October 15th, 2019

@StanDaMan78

Hey there!

Wow.. the Sax!... I've always wanted to learn how to play that... (Funny thing is for a brief moment in time... I played the Clarinet in my elementary years)... and I was taught that the keys, mouth-piece etc... were all very similar, that if you could play one, that you could play the other. Of course, I never got the chance to find that out.

Being able to play the Sax is such an awesome skill.....Makes for some beautiful music!... Thanks for sharing!

1 reply
User Profile: StanDaMan78
StanDaMan78 October 17th, 2019

@PoliteOcean

Yup I'm really enjoying it. But I sometimes overextend myself and my lips are so sore after.

load more
load more