Fitness Friday 08/04/17 - Exercise vs. Physical Activity - Is there a difference? 10 Minute Challenge
Fitness Friday 08/04/17 - Exercise vs. Physical Activity - Is there a difference? 10 Minute Challenge
(from THIS ACE Fitness article)
***PLEASE NOTE: Every type of exercise or physical activity is NOT appropriate for every person, due to individual medical conditions, injuries or physical/mobility limitations. Before you begin any exercise program, always obtain exercise clearance from your doctor.***

Todays topic is something you might not have considered before - Exercise vs. Physical Activity. Is there a difference between them? Yes - There IS a difference!
Physical Activity is movement that is carried out by the skeletal muscles that requires energy. In other words, any movement one does is actually physical actvity.
Exercise is planned, structured, repetitive and intentional movement intended to improve or maintain physical fitness. Exercise is a subcategory of physical activity.

Is it important to include BOTH in your healthy lifestyle?
Yes. Research provides significant evidence that ALL physical activity positively contributes to overall health and well-being. Exercise also assists with the improvement of physical fitness.
Did you know that the World Health Organization (WHO) has identified physical inactivity as an independent risk factor for chronic disease development, and it is now the fourth leading cause of death worldwide?
Inclusion of BOTH exercise and increased physical activity (in addition to a healthy diet) can lessen muscle stiffness/pain, decrease accumulation of abdominal fat, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, decrease chances of heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes, increase metabolism, lower the risks of cancer and premature death.
How can you increase your daily physical activity?
Take a few minutes to consider how much of your day is spent being inactive vs. being physically active. Chances are that most of our time is spent sedentary - but that can be improved!
To begin living a more active lifestyle, you can start by standing more and sitting less - standing encourages movement. While watching television, you could march in place or do a few simple exercises. When talking on the phone, dont sit still...stand up and walk during the conversation. Stretch. What can you do instead of sitting? What movements can you do while you are sitting? There are many ways to include more physical activity into your day if you just take a few minutes and think about it!
After you considered your current frequency of physical activity and exercise - what did you learn? Did you discover that you could add either to your routine? What are some of the ways you plan to incorporate more movement and exercise into your healthy lifestyle? Or how have you done so already?

10 MINUTE CHALLENGE!!!! Challenge yourself to complete just 10 minutes of ANY physical activity today! Then comment below telling us what you did and for how long - AND what activities/exercise you plan to incorporate into your healthy lifestyle!
Make an effort to include more daily physical activity AND structured exercise into your routine so that you can enjoy all of the life and health changing benefits!
(Source ACE Fitness)
Rode a bike down to the library and back today. Needed to be done, though.
@mimameid
Biking is great! :)
I went to the gym before work today and although I had a shorten work out due to still having a cold, I did work out!
@WendyBird15
You got it done! Good job! I hope you are feeling much better now! Hugs!
@AlfalfaSproutDeux I still have a cold but will work out anytime I can 😀
@WendyBird15
Boo for colds! I hope it goes away soon! You are an inspiration and motivation! Hugs!!
Had to do some emergency babysitting at a medical building. Chased a toddler through hallways, did a bunch of lifting so he could sit up high on things, drummed on a picnic table and supervised puddle jumping. Was about 90 minutes, although not all of that time involved much movement. It was still more than a typical day for me.
Not sure if I'll get to 10 minutes tomorrow, my body is screaming for rest. If I do it will be light movement in the garden. I think I'm even going to pass on full watering cans if I'm the one who does the watering tomorrow.
I did an online cardio interval workout from Team Body Project (love their videos!). I have to modify several things because of my joint problems, but I was able to keep up with a lot of the exercises.
@SadMe70
Modification is key and you didn't give up! That is amazing! Hugs!
@AlfalfaSproutDeux Thank you!
I wonder how's anyone actually capable of fitting all this in a week?? O.o
@sweetSnow24
I am able to do it..so it can be done! Just do what you can do, always try your best and be proud of that! Hugs!