Fitness Friday 09/15/17 - 10 Minute Workout to Improve Balance
***PLEASE NOTE: Every type of exercise or physical activity is NOT appropriate for every person, due to individual medical conditions, injuries or physical/mobility limitations. Before you begin any exercise program, always obtain exercise clearance from your doctor. Movements should never cause pain. Modify or eliminate as necessary.***

ALWAYS FOCUS ON WHAT YOU CAN DO, NOT ON WHAT YOU CANT!
Why is balance training important?
Balance training is often neglected when people are developing their fitness regime. Balance is the ability to control your bodys position, whether stationary (i.e. a complex yoga pose) or while moving (e.g. skiing).
Balance is a key component of fitness, along with strength, endurance, and flexibility. Improving your balance can also help with performing your daily activities like standing on tiptoes to reach something on the top shelf, walking up and down the stairs, or walking on an uneven surface without falling. source
10 Minute Workout to Improve Balance - Jessica Valant Pilates
Equipment Needed: Sturdy Chair or Countertop
Jessica Valant, physical therapist and Pilates instructor, takes you through this routine to help improve your balance. By strengthening the muscles in your legs and working in specific positions, you can feel more confident in your balance. All you need at home is a chair or counter to do this routine. More workouts at: https://www.jessicavalantpilates.com
Comment below and share your thoughts:
>> Do you currently incorporate balance training in your fitness plan?
>> In what ways do you feel that improving your balance could help your fitness/athletic performance? How could it enhance your day to day activities?
I don't specifically seek out things for balance much lately, as I'm pretty okay with it. I think many workouts naturally incorporate it anyway. I took a look at this video, some of the muscle groups she's working on are overworked for me anyway, I was told not to do things like calf raises a very long time ago. Others that I'm doing are more advanced, ie. leg raises with weights or resistence. I also use a balance board type pieceo equiptment at home mostly for stretching as it allows for more range than something like a towel stretch. I can shift inner and outer to get the most out of it. I often will goof around with balance on it a little bit too.
Balance is important for the upcoming seasons here. We've already had snow and icy walkways will appear all too soon. Also, I found that working with seniors many were scared of falls.
When I do have balance issues with activities, I often find it's because of tight tendons or overworked/underworked muscle groups. Falls outside of particular activities come moreso with brain fog and fatigue. Something like missing a step, it's hard to stay mindful of things like that when also trying to keep in mind all the other things that take up way more concentration than during clearer periods.