Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

New Diabetes diagnosis

User Profile: Iliketoweld
Iliketoweld September 30th, 2023

Are there any other newly diagnosed diabetics around. Maybe we can share meal plans and tips on keeping blood sugar down. What type are you? 1 or 2? Do you take pills or insulin shots? We can do this!!!!

9
User Profile: sympatheticOrange8782
sympatheticOrange8782 September 30th, 2023

Hi,


I have type 2 diabetes which is hereditary in my family but mine started early as I have been very depressed for a long time and ate a lot of unhealthy food to keep feeling full. Now I am on high doses of metformin but it does cause gastrointestinal issues and also have high cholesterol. But it has become manageable. I have an issue when my blood sugar gets in normal range I feel weak and very tired but when my blood sugar is a bit high, I feel more energetic. Eating balanced meal with less than 40 g of carbohydrates per meal helps keep the blood sugar down. I stopped eating any deep fried food as the metformin gives me nausea if I eat fried foods too much.


I hope you can manage your sugar levels better than me.

1 reply
User Profile: Iliketoweld
Iliketoweld OP October 1st, 2023

@sympatheticOrange8782 thank you. I've suspected this diagnosis for a while as my father was a type 1. And I eat a lot because I used to lift weights and am still a big guy. So, I'm still learning about what carbs I can have. I'm also on metformin. I started yesterday but so far no problem.

load more
October 1st, 2023

I suggest with Compassion to look into epi genetics. What it is and how its very applicable in your situation....epi genetics is the study of how gene expression changes depending on the environment., Kind of questioning wether hereditary conditions are permanent and is it not the lifestyle standards that are infact the cause of such conditions, rather than being powerless to them. I.e. inheriting the tradition to drink alot of alcohol or eat high sugar foods. Drink more water. Best of luck

User Profile: SunShineAlwaysGrateful
SunShineAlwaysGrateful October 1st, 2023

@Iliketoweld

i am type 2 diabetic no meds but manage my lifestyle re activity and food. I love to walk! I also use an app to track my food it helps sooo much! I use the Lose If app it counts carbs for me as well. I also visit a diabetes clinic that helps too.

User Profile: jerfer
jerfer June 5th, 2025

That is so useful, thanks!