Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I simply CAN'T lose weight...

User Profile: Neptune2100
Neptune2100 June 6th, 2020

Hi... I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. To be honest, my weight has been the cause of a lot of distress for me and I'm at the point where I don't know what to do about it anymore. I guess I'll just get straight to it.

I measure 1.52 meters and my weight drifts between 60 and 64 kilograms. I've been like this for years, and I've also been on and off mindful of my health. For the past three years or so, I've gone through stages of a few months of eating well, exercising, not losing weight, and then giving up. Luckily, that stopped, for so to say, and for the first time in years I've found myself constantly working towards healthy living to the point where I would take care of my body for health, and not so much the shape of my body. But even so, I've been at this for well over three months since I got up and decided "no more nonsense," and I have gotten some results.

Sadly, I did lose some centimeters off my body, but after I had an episode of about a week of poor sleep and exhaustion, I regained those centimeters. Also, I continue to gain weight even as I lost some cms, probably because of muscle gain, but it's still weight gained and my objective is to lose weight, right?

And that's basically it. I've tried EVERYTHING, guys. I work out at least one hour daily, and it's a blend of cardio and strength training. I am mindful about what I eat; I don't restrict calories, I just eat healthy food, I enjoy some snacks sometimes but it's also not daily or even two or three times a week. I also see a nutritionist every six months or so, although it's sometimes complicated to keep up with their instructions do to college, work, etc... It just seems as though I were doing everything right and my body is cursed to never burn fat, you know? I take all this care of myself and it just seems to not even be working, and that makes me upset and lose motivation. What would be the difference between working out and just sitting down and watching a movie, if either way I'm still not going to lose the weight?

Also, I'd like to mention the most troublesome area of my body is the belly. By far. The circumference of the thickest part of my torso is 95cm, give or take. The rest of my body isn't exactly fat, but it isn't thin either.

I just want help with this, okay...? If someone has gone or is going through the same thing, I'd love to hear your opinion or even your advise. I'm starting to feel hopeless regarding my body. This is the first time I've seriously and constantly taken care of it and it worries me that I can't lose weight no matter my efforts.

Thank you for reading, it means a lot to me. You're all beautiful people <3

7
User Profile: Greeneyesblueskies
Greeneyesblueskies June 6th, 2020

@Neptune2100

Not everyone is the same and weight can be a genetic thing. The only advice I could give you is to make a comfortable routine and stick to it. Growth, or in your case, losing weight, is hard and takes forever but that's what makes it so rewarding. 💚

1 reply
User Profile: Neptune2100
Neptune2100 OP June 7th, 2020

@Greeneyesblueskies

You know, it makes sense. I think it's genetic, but I still wish I could be thinner, you know?

Eh, you're right. I do have a lot of workouts that I love and adore and the problem is mostly dealing with these episodes of lack of motivation and frustration.

Thanks! <3

load more
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean June 10th, 2020

@Neptune2100

I totally do understand where you are coming from, as I have traveled this road and journey for quite some time.... For me, I think what happens is that I start getting closer to my goals, and then I start getting more relaxed in my efforts or dont' try as much as or hard to keep up or stay on track... OR.... I get side-lined, (so-to-speak).. meaning I'm doing well in my journey and then all of a sudden a frustrating issue arises and I let my feelings take over, and allow myself to get off track.

Not sure if either of these sound like you at all?

If you can truly say without a doubt, that EVERYTHING you tried is not working for you, then perhaps you might want to just talk or check with your healthcare provider to do a basic check-up and blood work on your just to make sure all of your systems are running the way the should be. Like your Thyroid, or your Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure, and all the things that help keep us going and running the way we should. If one of those things are a little out of whack, then there are easy ways to go about helping them to help you get back on track. Also.. I'm not sure of your age? As that can have a little bit of impact on how you burn calories and the different things that can go on in with your body as well....

Otherwise, perhaps looking at your routines each day.... Are you drinking enough water, getting enough of the healthier foods, while cutting down on the overly processed ones..... are you sticking within your calorie range, are you "under-eating" your calories for the workouts you do.... Have you tried cutting down on the hours that you are eating (such as not eating too late before bedtime) some people it might not affect them and others it might?... What works for one person, may be different for another. Its just about finding the right balance for yourself and playing with a few things to see what exactly will work for you.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU! We are here to help you any time. And my inbox is always open if you need to reach out. I might not respond immediately, but I do respond.

User Profile: RinaP
RinaP June 10th, 2020

@Neptune2100

Hi! Even though I didn't go through this issue myself, I do have a relative who has a similar problem. You know, many times it might be that there is some particular food or substance in food that is disturbing your body or that your body just can't process well and that might prevent you from losing weight even though you're working on a daily routine and even staying on a diet. For some people it might be gluten, for others something else. Even though I'm against cutting off completely a certain food if we're not sure it's right for us to do so and I also know that we shouldn't go on drastic diets because it can be no good for our body, I do advise you to take a look at what food might cause you stomach/guts problems, or just try and reduce/take out of your diet a certain type of food for a few days, and see if this makes any difference.

Sometimes we are concentrating very much on our psychological/motivational side of the problem, but there might be just something that bothers our body in our diet and we never knew. Of course you might discuss this also with your doctor/dietician and based on your analysis etc. Just an idea, I hope it can relate to you and help you in any way! :) Just nothing too drastic from one day to the other of course.

Please feel free to tell us how it's going! Wish you a nice day!

1 reply
User Profile: Neptune2100
Neptune2100 OP June 10th, 2020

@RinaP

Hey! You make a very good point. It had crossed my mind a couple of times the past week, so I'll be sure to look into it. Thanks for the comments <3

1 reply
User Profile: RinaP
RinaP June 12th, 2020

@Neptune2100

Glad if I can be of any help! :)

load more
load more
User Profile: goodfroggie
goodfroggie June 11th, 2020

I completely understand your frustration. I went through the same experience for years until I read thise two books: "The Grain Brain" and "the Brain Maker". These two books have changed my life permanently. It isn't about dieting. It's about why we gain the weight and keep it for good and what other mechanisms that we are unaware of that play role in losing those excess fat cells that act like a brain of their own. (Literally). Once you start understanding how the body gain, retain and burn energies and what everything we do, eat and consume play a role, suddently you will no longer look at things the same way you used. Say goodbye to depression, depleted energy, yoyoing on the scale, gastro issues, insomenia, forgetfulness, irritability, and far much more. It will blow you mind.

Best of luck to you.

Froggie