Struggling to eat
Not sure if this is the right forum but I’ve always struggled to eat pretty much my whole life. That, and having a somewhat high metabolism means I’m very skinny.
I don’t have an eating disorder or any known medical condition that causes loss of appetite I’ve always just not enjoyed eating much. In the past year I started getting hungry more and eating more, but even then I didn’t gain weight. After getting sick I’ve both lost more weight and lost the appetite I had for awhile.
Everyone keeps telling me to just eat but I physically can’t. Even the thought of eating makes me exhausted or nauseous. Sometimes I’ll feel hungry but when I start eating I’ll become nauseous and struggle to stomach the food. I don’t know why I’m like this and everyone just acting like it’s not a big struggle for me or anything and making constant remarks about my body has made me both insecure and sick of everything. The more people say things like that the less I want to eat.
The comments aren’t even out of spite or bad intentions it’s just people showing their care in an unopenminded and insensitive way I guess.
I do want to gain weight and actually have my clothes fit and feel good about myself for myself but nothing has really helped, and I feel like there isn’t much about gaining weight on the internet compared to losing weight
@hhhhhh04
Thank you for being so honest 💙
I think a nutritionist would be the most trusting person to get some advice and support from.
To allow you to feel heard and more like yourself 🩷
Sending you my best tonight!

@hhhhhh04
Hi there~
Thank you for sharing this with us here in the Healthy Living community.
You are correct in that there definitely seems to be so much more information geared towards weight loss efforts (rather than weight gain efforts)… And for many out there trying to gain weight and not feeling like you can, it can be just as difficult & challenging as those who are wanting to lose!
With that said, I see that you did mention that you have no underlying medical condition that would cause you to fall into that category. So that’s a great thing if you already have that information based on a medical assessment from a Licensed Medical Professional!
Going forward, (as a Nurse, Fitness Instructor, & Nutrition Coach myself), I would definitely have recommended that assessment be made first & foremost before trying to go ahead with your own approach… Although I do have to ask if you have ever tried filling in any of your nutritional gaps with Protein or Nutritional Shakes? Those can typical be made at home using many Healthy ingredients that you might enjoy (such as fruits, veggies, yogurts etc…) And many Healthy variations can be found on Different health sites.
Talking with a Registered Dietitian (or a Nutritionist, although a nutritionist doesn’t necessarily have to be Licensed), could help in your efforts to improve your intake and health. And can help by helping to create & provide a personal Nutrition plan for you based on your needs!
Starting with a “Licensed/Registered Dietitian” first could help. And typically they are covered under a medical insurance plan if you have one. And at the very least you can usually get an initial first consult for free?!
But Please keep us updated on your situation & progress & what you decide on going forward! We are here for you. And wish you the best.
That sounds so stressful to struggle with something most people do without thinking. How are you with drinking?
I'm wondering if drinking a soup or smoothie would go down easier? For me ice cold drinks rather than room temperature are smoother.
Small sips, maybe an ice lolly in between or some sort of distraction so you're not over thinking it's going to be a horrible experience..
Reading a book, listening to music, watching youtube because when I'm preoccupied, sometimes I've forgotten I've even munched or drank..