Trading vices instead of building healthier habits...
So, I've ran into the issue of quitting one vice or bad habit, only to jump back into another one...
For example, when I quit smoking, I find myself drinking an exceeded number of caffeine.
When I try to eat more (I hardly ever eat unless I've smoked MJ or ate edibles), I end up eating a bunch of dumb junk food... I thought I hated food for the longest time, but I honestly think because I've been eating low quality food most of my life (ex. Fast food, greasy, junk food etc) instead of eating higher quality food and cooking with better ingredients or trying to improve my cooking skills a little harder.
When I eat healthier, I don't eat ENOUGH of the healthy food...
I do enjoy cooking, but I feel it is time to learn new recipes or learn a new way to make foods I already enjoy cooking.
I want to turn my life around and become better.
The only good thing I can report for today is that I drank water instead of caffeine today, but I did eat junk food from the free snacks at work... I didn't meal prep sadly. I need to clean the house. I can't believe I let it get so messy/dirty. I've been doing small chunks at a time. I get kind of frustrated too, as I have a toddler and I'll clean up, only for it to become messy again. I got to worth with the little one to help clean if he makes a mess.
Idk, I guess...
I'm going to try today to do better and see what changes I can make.
I HAVE quit a bunch of vices all at once and did a 40 day challenge a couple of years prior. It was actually super nice and I felt great. The beginning of the challenge was difficult, but got easier with time. I might set myself up for a new challenge...
I'm going to try again with journaling & using a habit tracking app.
@ImpudentIncognito It sounds like you're going through a challenging time trying to break free from one vice or bad habit only to find yourself falling into another. Changing habits can be difficult, but it's great that you're aware of the patterns and want to make positive changes in your life.
Finding healthier alternatives and developing new coping mechanisms can be a good strategy. It's understandable that you might turn to other habits when trying to quit one, but the key is to gradually replace them with healthier options. Remember, progress takes time, and it's okay to take small steps towards your goals.
Journaling and using a habit tracking app can be helpful tools to keep yourself accountable and track your progress. It's great that you're willing to give them a try again. Remember to be patient with yourself and celebrate the small victories along the way.
Cleaning up the house can feel overwhelming, especially with a toddler, but involving your little one in the cleaning process can help teach them responsibility and make it a shared activity. Taking small steps and tackling one area at a time can make the task more manageable.
Setting yourself up for a new challenge, like the 40-day challenge you mentioned, can be a motivating way to work towards your goals. It may be beneficial to start with smaller, attainable goals and gradually increase the difficulty as you progress.
Remember, change is a journey, and setbacks are a normal part of the process. Stay committed, be kind to yourself, and keep focusing on the positive changes you want to make. You're taking important steps towards becoming a better version of yourself, and I believe in your ability to succeed.
@Mya000 Hey, thanks! I ended up downloading a habit tracking app to help out, and I've been journaling here and there. Instead of drinking coffee, I've been drinking water, lemonade, sports drinks, and horchata, but mostly water. Some of those alternatives are not healthy depending on how much sugar is in it... I'm day 5 of no caffeine and feel motivated. Albeit, I still smoke (MJ)…However, I did give away my vape to a friend, so no more nicotine at least. Just taking baby steps.
I plan on getting a gym pass here soon.
I'm going to look up recipes here in a bit and see about meal prepping instead of eating out...
I used to meal prep a lot and was a weightlifter and big into health, but due to some traumatic events in life, I lost my gains but that's OK. I'm going to try and rebuild what I have to something even better.
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement by the way.
@ImpudentIncognito That's fantastic to hear! It sounds like you've made some positive changes in your habits and lifestyle. Taking baby steps is a smart approach, and I'm glad you're feeling motivated.
You're welcome for encouragement! Keep up the great work, and if you ever need further support, don't hesitate to reach out.
Though this response is so late it is absurd, I'll post it anyway: I can somewhat relate to this.
Vices, & not keeping the house clean...yeah. It doesn't help that the apartment isn't mine, nor was it built particularly well other than with steel framing. So there's not much motivation over here.
As for vices, the only credit I can claim is 1) I haven't smoked herb since sometime in 2021, & 2) I haven't snorted up anything in over 20 years, nor have I ever injected. Alcohol is tempting at times... Been slowly & unevenly reducing my caffeine intake. Sometimes a pick-me-up during the day is irresistible.
...As for other possible vices, I take the Fifth.
I wish you luck in getting & staying clean. Am hoping we both will...eventually.
It's hard to stay away from vices (and keep the house clean) when I'm feeling constant pain, to be honest...Not an excuse, not at all... but it gives short-term relief and sometimes I think "screw everything"...But I know deep down, I'll probably feel better if I did NOT do those things to cope...
I wish I had stronger willpower/discipline like I used to. I've relapsed again tbh. I'm drinking a lot more than usual. I usually don't care much for alcohol, I'm more addicted to caffeine but...here I am...I do have other vices that are unrelated to substances (watching adult material). It's not really something I hear people talk about in real life in a negative way, it's usually in a positive light, but I think it ruined me a bit honestly...I haven't really bothered with it AS much. I forget because I'm too stressed out LOL.
I want to make a change though. I don't wanna keep living this way. So...gonna reset with the new year(as corny as that sounds, but oh well). So...guess I can get it all out of my system these final days and start over.
I think it's awesome that you've stayed away from all the substances and that you're also reducing your caffeine intake. That's amazing! I want to have your discipline and willpower.
I...wish I didn't do ANY of that crap 💩at all. Though...slightly...leaning towards herb again maybe every other weekend, but I've been detoxed since June 2024, so I lasted so long without it, it might not really matter...but I traded it for a *** 💩 ton of caffeine and some alcohol. Plus, it's currently illegal in this city lol, but if I moved back to where I was, it's 100% legal, so living here keeps me off the green, at least. The alcohol laws in this city are REALLY strict here too, especially compared to where I used to live....So it's interesting..
@slowdecline48
Do what you need to but at the same time, don't be too hard on yourself. As you said, you're under stress. We both are! That stress is partially from chronic illness--again, that applies to both of us. When things get tough, it's only natural to turn to some kind of aid to get you through it all.
Also, I'm firmly convinced that a solid majority of humanity have at least one vice. Look at how many people in AA & NA meetings have donuts & cigarettes, fergodsakes. For those living totally clean, their vices may include hard-core religion or some kind of ideology...or the petty satisfaction of judging people who aren't as clean as themselves.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I wish I was there to give you a hug.