Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can't Sleep? Insomnia? Don't want to try meds just yet? 8 Insomnia Tips!

User Profile: Remina
Remina March 29th, 2017

I know that a lot of times medication can be addictive and make you feel like you'd have to rely on it to be able to get sleep and even then that doesn't feel right for you. I might be no expert but I am great at googling things! Sleep is something that every one of us on this website needs, and even if you don't have insomnia, I feel that these tips that I have picked up might come to some use to you!

The first thing that you want to do is Adopt a routine schedule. Basically, try to have a regular sleep/wake cycle. This might be hard the first few nights but you can totally do this.

Next, if you can avoid it, don't take daytime naps. You will find that you might be able to fall asleep faster and maintain your sleep if you don't take a nap.

Something else you can do is avoid alcohol and caffeine. You might be able to fall asleep easier because your brain won't be as stimulated and you won't be waking up as much to urinate in the middle of the night.

Use the bedroom for what it is meant to be used for. If you only use your bed for sleep and sexual activity, then you can train your brain to understand that bed = sleep.

Something else to do is avoid bedtime high carb snacking within 2 hours of sleep. Instead, get a glass of milk and nuts.

Get regular exercise! Routine exercise releases endorphins that decrease stress. This, in turn, increases deep sleep.

If you still can't fall asleep: If it has been 30 minutes, and you have not been able to fall asleep, get up and move around and do something relaxing! Then go back to bed when you feel sleepy.

Source

1

4
User Profile: colourfulWatermelon53
colourfulWatermelon53 March 30th, 2017

@BurningEmber thank you for sharing these tips

User Profile: singercrystalspirit
singercrystalspirit March 30th, 2017

@BurningEmber Thank you for this. I have a lot of problems with insomnia.

User Profile: cosmicdreamer08
cosmicdreamer08 March 30th, 2017

@BurningEmber Great ideas! Thank you for this post :)