Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do you have a food that reminds you about your childhood?

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence December 20th, 2017

Hello everyone!

Do you have a food that reminds you about your childhood?

1. Do you cook it for yourself?

2. Would you like to taste it again?

3. Do you remember the recipe?

44
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP December 20th, 2017

I'll start with it!

This is a sweet food that reminds me about my childhood because grandmother did it for me many times!

I make it same way every Christmas, it is "mascarpone cheese cream"

It can be used also to stuff cakes when they are baked.

Here is the receipe ! Ingredients :

- 1 cup mascarpone cheese (250 gr)

- 2 eggs

- 3 tablespoons sugar

- 1 tablespoon powder-cocoa

- 1 tablespoon Brandy liquor

Whisk together mascarpone cheese, powder-cocoa, yolks, sugar and Brandy in a large bowl just until blended. You can use an electric mix medium speed (or a large wood-spoon).
Now beat whipping eggs-white part in another bowl until it stiff, then add it slowly, like 3 tablespoons at a time, and using a large wood-spoon mix it to the mascarpone cream in the large bowl, with a slow movement from the bottom to the top (do not use electric mix for that!!) because it is meant to make the cream softer and more "inflated". Ready to taste!
The cream can be put in the fridge for conservation!

User Profile: AutumnBreeze92
AutumnBreeze92 December 22nd, 2017

@BeyondTheInvisible

"Chocolate rolls" reminds my childhood.

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP December 25th, 2017

@kindPoetry91

Yummy, yes! Hope you have occasion to taste it everytime you wish !

User Profile: AutumnBreeze92
AutumnBreeze92 December 25th, 2017

@BeyondTheInvisible

Thank you so much heart

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP December 25th, 2017

@kindPoetry91

You are welcome!! laugh

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: warmheartedPlace6008
warmheartedPlace6008 December 22nd, 2017

a recipe that makes me to think childhood.

ingredients- flattened rice ,jaggery and ghee.

soak the flattened rice for sometime without too much water just dry it and mix palm jaggery and heated ghee and make small balls and serve it .this recipe is famous in village coz they got no money for buying laddus this small balls is easy to make and fills the sweet tooth.

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP December 25th, 2017

@warmheartedPlace6008

That's nice!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! laugh

load more
User Profile: Booklover95
Booklover95 December 25th, 2017

I have alot of them, but one that I love is called "bolinhos de bacalhau".

Is basically mashed potatoes with salsa (the herb) and salted cod, made with a spoon to get the shape.

They look like this:

I only help making them. I mostly remember them because my grandmother made them wonderfully and nowdays my mum makes them too :)

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP December 25th, 2017

@Booklover95

Yummy! yes

User Profile: neatBalloon7178
neatBalloon7178 December 30th, 2017

@Booklover95

Those look amazing!!

load more
User Profile: Keola
Keola December 29th, 2017

Yes!! Purple Yams aka Ube. I dont cook it or bake it, I havent been brave enough to venture out with this ingredient. But I can purchase all kinds of Ube desserts from a local Asian market. It is a delightful taste and really brings me back to my childhood. I am somewhat happy that the Asian market is a distance away or else I'll be eating this every chance I get haha

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP December 29th, 2017

@Keola

Nice!! yes

Maybe one day you will have the will to try doing it by your own!

User Profile: Keola
Keola December 29th, 2017

@BeyondTheInvisible ... definitely and will post here the end product:D

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP December 29th, 2017

@Keola

Good idea, so we can try to make it too! yes

load more
User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic March 4th, 2018

@BeyondTheInvisible

You have made me think and funnily enough I now cook all my childhood dishes and have taught my kids to cook them too!

Rice pudding with sultanas baked with a golden nutmeg skin

Egg Custard Tart

Bread and Butter Pudding

Home made icecream

OHHH!! they are all puddings heehehe!

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP March 4th, 2018

@MistyMagic

How cool! thanks for sharing!

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: MelanieDaniels63
MelanieDaniels63 January 2nd, 2018

Sausage, onion, pepper plus we always addded potatoes to make it a whole/fuller meal. My grandfather used to cook this meal now I cook it for myself at times. I love to eat it and remember the recipe well here it is if anyone wants to try/make/eat it.

You will need: A casserole dish line it with tin foil and spray it with cook spray or dump some olive oil to coat the pan. Put the oven on 350-400 F. Heat the oven.

Ingredients/prep: Green peppers, I like a sweet onion, sweet or hot Itialian sausage whatever one you like, and golden potatoes, buy as many as you need I get 3 of each kind. Wash and chop up in good size pieces all your ingredients and put it in the heated oven. Keep a eye on it and stir every so often, I would say for 1 hour plus I eye it to see when it is done. It is done when the potatoe is soft to poke a fork in and the sausage is brown and the veggies soft, everything will be a golden brown. Take it out plate it and enjoy, I like to put ketchup on top up to you. Enjoy!

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP January 2nd, 2018

@MelanieDaniels63

Oh thank you for sharing!

I am italian so I would use sweet italian sausage, yummy! yes

User Profile: MelanieDaniels63
MelanieDaniels63 March 11th, 2018

@BeyondTheInvisible Your welcome bon appetit have a great day/night!

load more
load more
User Profile: warmheartedPlace6008
warmheartedPlace6008 January 2nd, 2018

Milk wheat porridge.

ingredients;broken wheat half kig

milk as be required

palm jaggery is low caloried than sugar

ghee ,cardomom,nits to decorate

soak the broken wheat and iboil it with water and in to the [ressure cookrfd sdd mik and garnish with fried nuts with ghee

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP January 2nd, 2018

@warmheartedPlace6008

A sweet-taste-recipe!

Suppose that ghee is clarified butter, right?

Thank you for sharing!

load more
User Profile: Larsila
Larsila March 4th, 2018

Yoghurt and dark brown sugar, it's pretty self explanatory :p

My great aunts always used to give it to me as dessert when I was a child. I still make it sometimes when I have some leftover yoghurt and a small hunger.

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP March 10th, 2018

@Larsila

Yummy Larsila! I do eat it too! laugh

load more
User Profile: sunnyAcai8948
sunnyAcai8948 March 10th, 2018

My grandma always used to make delicious chicken corn soup for the grandkids.

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP March 10th, 2018

@sunnyAcai8948

Nice Sunny! I hope you still eat it, sounds tasty!

load more
User Profile: Mellietronx
Mellietronx March 11th, 2018

@BeyondTheInvisible

I remembered getting chicken fingers with honey mustard at a place called Friendlies :)

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP March 11th, 2018

@Mellietronx

Hey Mellie! Thanks for sharing!

hope you are fine, cheers!

load more