Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

an occasional art photography thread? In THIS economy??...

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 March 20th, 2025

Polished the backs of two of my chisels last night, then did this out of sheer boredom:


theback-sm_1742461337.png

27
User Profile: 7Bear7
7Bear7 March 26th, 2025

@slowdecline48

Yooooo that's so sick! I sharpen my and my dad's but never thought to Polish them!!

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP March 26th, 2025

@7Bear7 If you flattened the backs of your dad's chisels (or if he did it) then polishing is easy enough. Any solid flat surface & wet-dry sandpaper in a few different grits will work.

User Profile: 7Bear7
7Bear7 March 26th, 2025

@slowdecline48

Yah we always make sure the back is flat otherwise issues with effectiveness. But I just didn't think to make it shiny. 

Good idea on the high grit sandpaper that would definitely do it. 

Did you put a finish on it to protect from rust? I prefer beeswax but there are other options.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP March 26th, 2025

@7Bear7 No but that's a good idea! My plan was a thin coat of vaseline but for storage, beeswax would certainly last longer. I'm glad I read that before packing up the hand tools.

User Profile: 7Bear7
7Bear7 March 27th, 2025

@slowdecline48

Glad to help! Tho Vaseline would be a good one to use in when you don't have something else, gonna put that in the back of my head if I ever need it! Thanks mate

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 4th, 2025

1000004545_1743753444.jpg

1000004546_1743753471.jpg

studies of pitted metal (section of trucks pring after rust removal)


1000004547_1743753518.jpg

Steels

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 25th, 2025

1000004673_1745603443.jpg

Fragments of a Past

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP May 30th, 2025

1000000477_1748620932.jpg

Clutter

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP July 2nd, 2025

overcast_1751423157.png

Overcast, June 2025

User Profile: CocoaCassie
CocoaCassie July 19th, 2025

@slowdecline48 great bw! What do you use to take them on?

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP July 20th, 2025

@CocoaCassie Thanks! It's nothing fancy, just my phone's camera. It's a Motorola but not a top-of-the-line model...that would be too rich for my blood. 😃 What makes the pic is the editing I do....got an image-editing app on the phone, plus GIMP on my laptop.

User Profile: CocoaCassie
CocoaCassie July 20th, 2025

@slowdecline48 thanks for explaining 

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: braindamag3
braindamag3 July 19th, 2025

@slowdecline48,

Nice job on the chisel 👍

I use various diamond grit plates to sharpen mine, never thought about giving them a good polish.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP July 20th, 2025

@braindamag3 Yeah, I've thought about it. Those diamond-coated plates stay flat & all. But I have things to sharpen blades with already...they work fine.

load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP August 11th, 2025

july2025_1754930173.jpg
untitled

..

Forgot to upload this last month.

August 11th, 2025

image_1754932633.png

Untitled

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP August 13th, 2025

@Hamstermum Neat. Do you have a camera for this or do you just use your phone, like me?

August 13th, 2025

@slowdecline48 that was my phone. I do have another camera but oftem the phone is better.

load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP August 13th, 2025

xed_1755107567.png
X'ed

August 13th, 2025

I found another couple to post here, both taken with my phone.

image_1755115433.png


image_1755115452.png

August 13th, 2025

@Hamstermumthe first is called Dandelion, the second is Three by the Sea.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP August 14th, 2025

@Hamstermum The 2nd one looks as if it was developed from an old roll of film...a bit retro. If that was what you were going for, you succeeded.

Gotta say I wasn't expecting anyone else to post photos in the thread. Now I'm waiting for a 3rd person...

load more
load more