Openness and Learning Mindset
For a long time, I lived by a personal motto: Follow anything and everything your heart wishes for, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.
I always chose to listen to my heart, even in the smallest or silliest moments, because I never wanted to live with the regret of unsaid words or undone actions. Staying true to myself brought wonderful people into my life that I dearly treasure. But just today, I found out how wrong I have in most of the cases. Listening to what my heart says has always been one-sided for most, I never tried putting myself in other shoes. The things that I thought would bring them peace was actually hurting them and the ones that I thought was annoying weren't. I am complex myself and the people in my life are no less. We were kind to each other, but wouldn't dare to talk about our fears, or expectations because of what ifs. It wasn't very healthy.
Navigating this brought me a few powerful lessons:
Assumptions aren't understanding: No matter how well you know someone, assuming what they want or feel isn't the same as truly listening to them.
Empathy vs. Kindness: Kindness is a vital part of empathy, but true empathy requires stepping outside our own perspective to see through their eyes.
Direct Communication: If you care about someone, putting your feelings forward and communicating openly is always better than deciding for them what they can or cannot hear.
It takes courage to resolve these missteps, and I’m choosing to pause, give myself the time and grace to work on this new layer of growth.
Discussion Questions:
1. Have you ever had an experience that made you pause and re-examine a core belief or decision you held?
2. What was the very first step or thought you took after that realization?
I’d love to read your thoughts and reflections. Take all the time you need to share~🍀🎐
@yoursmileisasradientastheSun
When I'm listening to someone here from a different culture, I've often paused and learnt, that I have my belief and they have theirs, both are totally valid
But we all have different experiences, different morals, different upbringings, different environments.
So it helps to listen , in order to learn rather than listen to correct and impose your own ideas.
It's about understanding
Communication.
Sharing 🥰

@Amanda84 I admire your perspective so much! Pausing to listen to a different belief and respecting it by acknowledging that all of us have different experiences is truly what makes you a great listener.
Listening is truly about understanding, communicating, and sharing, rather than correcting someone or imposing our own ideas. I love this phrase so much that I might just add it to my list of mottos!
Your way of seeing things and holding space for others is praiseworthy. Thank you for sharing this! 💛✨

