Am I asexual, too young, or depressed?
TW: p*rn mention and s*x
Hello there :)
I am 15 years old and I am still not interested in sex. I have seen p*rn and am honestly just not interested. I don't want to be touched like that, it just doesn't interest me. I feel like I might be asexual, but I'm not sure. Part of me feels like I am too young to identify as asexual. What if I'm just a late bloomer? Another thing holding me back is the fact that I have MDD. I know a symptom of depression is a loss of libido. I'm pretty sure its also a side effect of my medication.
I guess my questions are when I am considered too old to be a late bloomer? Am I not ace but rather depressed?
@PurpleSnail hey, I'm ace and the thing is that you don't necessarily stay ace for the rest of your life. You can be varying from time to time; that is called being GrayAce, I think. Maybe that's your case?
@SnowflakeAlpha290413
I will look into this, thank you :)
@PurpleSnail No problem! Have you found out yet? Do you need help with anything else? I'm here to help you, if you want me to ;3
When I was about your age, I wasn't very interested in sex either. I mostly fantasized about the romantic aspects of a relationship, and I didn't have a really high libido, sex was just not something that appealed to me yet. It's a different journey for everyone, some are just "late bloomer" and some others turn out to be asexual, it's hard to tell in your early teens. I'd say watching porn is not necessarily a very clear indicator, you can find a variety of things there that are not necessarily very realistic or do not much your taste. My take is, you should of course feel free to identify however you prefer, but I'd wait a bit just to be sure. Make sure to take good care of yourself and always do whatever makes you feel good, sex drive is gonna come with time or not, don't rule out any possibility yet! And of course, if you choose to identify as asexual but later find out something different, that's ok too!
@PurpleSnail I identified as asexual for a very long time, and was so frustrated that everyone assumed it was due to my chronic anxiety and depression. There was a time where I let it go and simply identified as a lesbian because I thought I had to choose, when I realized they weren't mutually exclusive I identified as a 'homo-romantic asexual' for the past decade. Now I've realized my asexuality does fluctuate and has absolutely nothing to do with my anxiety and depression. Mostly what I'm coming to see is that I can take on the labels that feel right for me, but once they start to shape me instead of helping describe my natural shape it's time to let them go.