Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Family just visited and I missed them a lot but they didn’t even try to use my pronouns once

User Profile: Cursednoodles
Cursednoodles March 12th, 2025

It’s spring break and my mom and sister just visited for a couple days to hang out, and while I mostly had a great time, they kinda made me feel like *** by not using my pronouns (they/them) once the whole time. I should’ve corrected them from the start, but I can’t handle confrontation well and my partner had to work during most of it so we wasn’t able to back me up either. This was the first time I’d seen them since coming out, and we’ve had a lot of arguments about my pronouns and gender and my mom promised she would at least try, and she didn’t. I just feel awful and I don’t know what to do.

2
User Profile: Aayla
Aayla March 12th, 2025
@Cursednoodles I'm sorry that the people who should support you the most are not even making an effort. Don't beat yourself up for not correcting them, it's totally normal to feel like confrontation is too much for you at the moment, it takes a lot of strength and it's ok to save it for another time if you don't feel up to it.
Try to get all the support you can from your partner and other people that have your back, recharge your energy and focus on getting to your best emotional shape to minimize the negative impact this episode might have on your life. You shouldn't pay the price for their lack of empathy towards your feelings. 
There's always tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, and the day after that. There's no time limit to stand up for yourself. If they keep disrespecting your identity, you can let your voice be hard another time, when you're ready for it.
User Profile: Cursednoodles
Cursednoodles OP March 12th, 2025

You’re incredible, thank you so much

load more