My parents are homophobic and my future is at stake.
I'll keep it short. I don't like labels but just for the sake of it, I'm a lesbian. My parents are homophobic. They want me to marry a straight man and settle down, have a couple kids, you know, same old story. I'm in my late 20's now and I won't grow any younger. I will meet someone someday and they'd want to marry me, and even if I went ahead and married them, I won't be able to hide it for a long time. I originally planned on never coming out to them and just live my life. But they're your parents, they will always be by your side and they WILL always in some way find out about whatever is happening in your life. I was never close to them, we share a casual bond and I tell myself that it wouldn't matter if they found out that I'm a lesbian but today I realised that it does. They would be so disappoined if they found out that and I don't have the heart to see that look in their face. They've loved me, given me the best they can but I can't just marry a straight man like they want me to. I'd rather they pass away knowing that their daughter was unmarried than being disappointed and disgusted by their daughter.
Hi Ocean, it's always hard because as children, most often has a deeply rooted love for their parents and cannot bear to see them hurt. That is because as children, our sole job is to keep them happy for the sake of our own survival. However, as you grow older, you may find out over time that, you can leave ve your parents but that doesn't mean you need to live your life for them. You own and direct your life, not them. What they think you should do, and what you should do are two separate and different things than can be related only if you insist them to be. Knowing that, I will encourage you to ponder on what you want your relationship with your parents in the future to look like, and how it will look like if they are not there. The likelihood of your parents dying before you do is relatively high, and what will you do if they are not here any more? Does it matter if you suffer in silence while they thought everything is fine? Or is that simply you keeping the surface calm while your core gets soaked in a sea of pain which crystallizes and grows? What do you really want for yourself in life? Those questions may seem abstract, but they are also crucially important and I will encourage to think about them, and how your answer may or may not prompt you to change the way you approach it. Good luck and I hope you will find your way of striking a good balance between your neds and your parents needs to attain the life you want. 💕
You can live for your parents*. Typo of leave ve…