Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Why as people do we let others make us doubt ourselves?

User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 September 1st, 2025

Why do other people's words have such an effect in us, even when they are wrong?

How do you deal with it?

30
User Profile: highlyintuition1
highlyintuition1 September 2nd, 2025

It’s low self worth people have! Nobody should ever have control over how you feel but SELF! When most adults don’t get actual acknowledgment as a child real protective love as a child etc it manifests into adulthood millions of adults are still dealing with childhoods trauma! Thats why many allow opinions of others affect them

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP September 2nd, 2025

@highlyintuition1

Not getting the care and self affirmation as a child, thank you, I appreciate the insight!

💜💕

load more
User Profile: frothyHope8294
frothyHope8294 September 2nd, 2025

@Amanda84

I think it's human to listen and consider other people's opinions, partly for survival purposes in a primitive sense...

However, this doesn't make unwanted opinions okay, especially if they hurt your feelings in turn. For example, my family always comments on my partner's appearance when they are not around, and although I always defend their name, it doesn't necessarily stop either.

I think in these moments it's important to prioritize your own happiness and block everything else out as noise. 

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP September 2nd, 2025

@frothyHope8294

You make a good point here!

We should prioritise our own mental health advice the misguided opinions of other people!

💕💜

load more
User Profile: Beastmode22
Beastmode22 September 3rd, 2025

@Amanda84  I know the saying “Stick and Stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” I have found that a lie in several occasions. Words can hurt deeply and for me it depends on who is saying it. I have recently been through this with someone I love deeply and it has crushed me.  As far as what do I do. I let them know it was very hurtful but I do a lot of self talk 

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP September 3rd, 2025

@Beastmode22

Yea, it's important to not let others words define how we see ourselves!

💜💕

load more