Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” Plato

User Profile: IsayUncle
IsayUncle July 4th, 2023

Sadly I am the latter but the world needs fools such as I. But... Oh, how I long to be the former.

6
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence July 5th, 2023

@IsayUncle

Hi there IsayUncle!

Did you read Plato and you thought about his words or were you alone thinking about it and quoted Plato?

I personally think that the point here is about comparing a talk of quality vs another that is less meaningful.

Cicerone (i think in English it's Cicero) wrote a book exactly to discuss eloquence and talks that contain a lot of beautiful words but result being empty in meaning. And know what? Cicerone was referring to other philosophers/public speakers 😋

So I would say that something deep, meaningful and interesting can be said by anybody eventually, no need for labels, right?

Your post is interesting, you gave it a thought, so it's not something superficial.

Cheers!


User Profile: IsayUncle
IsayUncle OP July 5th, 2023

Hi @MeaningfulSilence

I totally agree with you that the quote means quality of talk versus just talking to talk. I started collecting quotes from the Internet years ago and I mostly go to ancient and old scholars and philosophers. I keep a list of the ones that affect me personally on some level or another.

When I first started doing it, it was good to know that people were having the same mental questions and problems thousands of years ago and these quotes, scriptures, philosophies and stuff like that are them trying to come to terms with it and so it makes me feel that we ain't so bad as a modern society. I have not studied a subject or person or anything like that.

Cicero sounds like a an interesting topic of study and it would be neat to see how he dissects the conversation or phrase, quote etc.

But I think my interpretation of this quote is more personal as far as how i wish I could be that guy that just sits quietly and never says nothing but then when he talks all ears and heads turn to listen. Being honest here, my inadequacies have led me to a default of having to speak or talk for recognition or acceptance I guess on some level.

It sounds like you enjoy quotes and philosophies. Have you taken education in some of those subjects and do you have any favorites?

Thanks for commenting, have a great day.😊

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence July 5th, 2023

@IsayUncle

Hi IsayUncle 😊

Thanks for your answer and to have explained things so well!

Sorry just to read a self judgement from you... "my inadequacies" .... I would guess you had negative experiences that led you to feel inadequate or not accepted. I hope that, step by step, you will let go for all the negative emotions you had to deal with.

Yes, I like philosophers, I honestly have always enjoyed reading them and if I have to list some of those I like, i would mention Epicurus, Cicero, Seneca, Descartes.

I think it's a good idea to take note of sentences and paragraph we like to contemplate and elaborate with our own thoughts. You just gave me a good suggestion on something I would enjoy doing!

Take care

User Profile: IsayUncle
IsayUncle OP July 5th, 2023

@MeaningfulSilence

BTW... The irony of your username just dawned on me. Pretty appropiate for this post.😊

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: TrueSky
TrueSky July 5th, 2023

@IsayUncle

That is deep meaning 😮 we can learn to refrain from talking I guess. Silence is golden they say.

User Profile: IsayUncle
IsayUncle OP July 5th, 2023

Hi @TrueSky

I agree Silence is Golden when exercised with purpose and awareness. Not from fear or any type of submission. I believe Plato meant for us to speak if we had something of importance to say, otherwise observe and listen.

I just blurt things out a lot and in those situations I wish I could refrain more... but i do keep trying.😊.

load more