Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

8 year old daughter hair pulling

User Profile: smetz
smetz June 14th, 2017

I'm posting this in hopes of some understanding and solutions to could help my daughter stop her hair pulling.

My 8-year-old daughter started pulling her hair out about a year ago when my wife had a couple surgeries. Thankfully my wife was okay but my daughter started coping by pulling her hair out. We've taken her to counselors but its hard to get an 8-year-old to explain her feelings.

Could anyone give me some insight or solutions that have helped you?

Thank you,
Shawn

3
User Profile: Remina
Remina June 14th, 2017

@smetz

You can maybe try to see what type of sensation your daughter gets from pulling her hair. A lot of times people pull their hair because they feel like they are in stress. You mention that the surgery that your wife was the trigger and despite your wife turning out alright, your daughter continues. It could be that the hair pulling helped her when the stressful situation with the surgery was going on and might be her way to cope with any stressors she is faced. I recommend trying to help her find other ways to cope with stress. Try to get her involved in extracurricular programs if possible that make her exert energy. When you see her pulling her hair, maybe pull her in for a hug and comfort her.

User Profile: passionateApricot2604
passionateApricot2604 May 16th, 2020

This hit close to home because I started when I was 8