Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Share personal experiences about Schizoid PD

User Profile: StarlitSky4762
StarlitSky4762 August 19th, 2021

Schizoid Personality Disorder is described as: "a tendency to not be able to relate to other people and to have a restricted range of emotional expression."

What has been your experience with Schizoid PD?

3
User Profile: easyTown5832
easyTown5832 August 19th, 2021

I am not sure if I get to honestly type here, as I am not "officially diagnosed", my psychiatrist however did say I showed traits of it, and when I read about it I understood why he said that, it would certainly explain some things. While I will smile and pretend to have a lot of emotions for the sake of society, most of these feel more like acts, I am much less emotional on the inside. I think this is important to mention as one of the symptoms of schizoid is reduced emotion expressiveness, which if I may not fit (even if its pretending). It is possible this is the only thing that would make my psychiatrist hesitant to diagnose me with this, though I will say that I am noticing a pattern where over the years these "symptom" of schizoid I have are getting more prominent/worse. I wonder through life mostly in my head, I feel more like an "on server" rather than participant. Sometimes I get called rude even if I didnt really mean to, its a bit hard to assess social situations for me. I always prefer solitary activities and would rather steer away from relationships because they seem cumbersome. I have tried forming friendships before only to always cut off, I cant really express why but one thing I noticed is my indifference. I may have known some of these people for more than 7 years yet me cutting off away from them didnt really produce a strong emotional respomse. All of the relationships I am in is famillial and occupational/recreational ones. Which is something you cant really avoid in society. I am aware that I am not "normal" but I dont really seek society's validation. I mostly just want to be left alone. I guess I can talk more but these are the things that came to mind right now. I recently woke up and will have breakfast now.

User Profile: StarlitSky4762
StarlitSky4762 OP August 20th, 2021

@easyTown5832 Thank you for sharing your experiences, they provide a good insight for me to understand you better.

User Profile: QuietMagic
QuietMagic August 20th, 2021

@easyTown5832

Hi--you're certainly allowed to post here, and thanks for sharing. Red heart

That makes sense what you're describing. You pretend to be expressive for the sake of appearances but don't really feel very much. You have some family/work connections that you can't avoid, but anything beyond that feels kind of cumbersome and like you'd just prefer to be left alone and find enjoyment in solitary activities. And that feels okay and like you'd be content with that kind of unimpeded self-sufficiency even if maybe it isn't what other people are doing.

load more