Psychology Today: People with Rare Diseases Need Better Healthcare
Ask nearly anyone in America whether they have experienced challenges with our healthcare system, and they will have a story for you. Most have endured long wait times to see a doctor and high healthcare costs. However, new research shows that these problems are magnified when seeking healthcare for a rare disease. Rare diseases or disorders are defined as conditions affecting fewer than 200,000 people in the United States. Although each disorder is rare, collectively more than 7,000 different rare diseases affect approximately 1 in 10 Americans, meaning that about 10 percent of our population is at risk for these healthcare disparities. Therefore, it is important to look for commonalities across rare diseases.
Diagnostic Odyssey
In the largest study of healthcare access and quality of life among children and adults with rare disorders in America, we surveyed 1,128 adults and caregivers, representing 344 different rare diseases. The most frequently represented rare diseases in our sample were spinocerebellar ataxia, idiopathic hypersomnia, narcolepsy, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and primary biliary cholangitis. Many reported a long and winding odyssey searching for an accurate diagnosis. About one-third of participants waited four or more years for a diagnosis, and 16% waited 10 or more years. Approximately half of participants also reported at least one misdiagnosis during their diagnostic odyssey. Nearly one-quarter saw six or more doctors to finally receive an accurate diagnosis. Results from this study suggest that the diagnostic odyssey takes a toll on individuals with rare diseases and their families.
Barriers to Care
Healthcare providers expert in specific rare diseases are themselves rare, so nearly half of participants in this study reported traveling at least 60 miles for care. The majority of participants in our study were relatively privileged in that they had health insurance; but even with insurance, approximately one-quarter of this sample paid $3,000 or more out-of-pocket for healthcare expenses. Approximately 15-20% experienced insurance denials or delays. These barriers to care can add to the potential stress of having a rare disease, threatening quality of life.
Insufficient Healthcare
More than two-thirds of respondents felt they had insufficient psychological and dental care, while half felt their medical and social support was insufficient. When satisfaction with their healthcare was assessed, patients were generally lukewarm. Participants were more likely to be satisfied when they experienced a shorter diagnostic odyssey, less stigma, less pain, and better physical function. These factors suggest places for advocates and policymakers to focus their efforts.
Quality of Life Disparities
Adults and children with rare disorders had significantly poorer health-related quality of life and stigma in all domains compared to the general U.S. population and compared to the scores of people with prevalent conditions (when available). Understandably, challenges accessing appropriate and effective healthcare appear to take a mental toll. High rates of anxiety and depression in both children and adults were more likely to occur when they experienced stigma and poor peer relationships, fatigue, and sleep problems. This study suggests that the experience of having a rare disease in the U.S. is unique, even when comparing that experience to people living with more common diagnoses.
Policy Change is Needed
This study was conducted in collaboration with the Minnesota state Chloe Barnes Advisory Council on Rare Diseases, which was founded by rare disease advocate Erica Barnes and funded by the Minnesota state legislature. Minnesota is one of 24 states with rare disease advisory councils connecting local stakeholders like patients, caregivers, healthcare providers, and insurers with policymakers. These groups identify local challenges and solutions, which may include expanded insurance coverage of drugs and treatments, infant screening for congenital rare disorders, and healthcare provider education. Our survey found healthcare challenges all across the United States, suggesting that more advocacy and policy work is needed. Advisory councils are a promising way to connect local stakeholders and enact change that benefits people with rare diseases regardless of their specific diagnosis.
While living with a rare disease can be isolating, our work finds that connecting with others with rare disorders and advocacy work can reduce stigma and empower people with rare diseases, suggesting that working together for change can provide mental as well as physical health benefits.

*I can understand how isolating it must be for someone who has a rare disease, especially when there is still such a stigma and not many other people who completely understand what that person is going through. While I believe we are heading in a better direction, there is still so much we have to conquer. Less than half of the US has rare disease advisory councils and without policies in place, getting access to the proper healthcare can be difficult. Even though a disease may be rare, it doesn't mean these patients should be treated any different than patients with the most common disease.*
Do you have any experience with a rare disease or maybe know someone who does? What do you think we could do to help better healthcare access for those with a rare disease?
#RareDisease #Healthcare #Advocacy
Read the full article here!
@fruityPond7887
I love this article! Thank you so much for sharing. It is very needed to put this into more spotlight.
I do not know anyone with a rare disease but I used to write weekly awareness posts about them and I think it was a good way to help those people with searching for resources. Additionally, I think that awareness-raising can also help with de-stigmatization.
@globalBraid3744 I agree that sharing that information is great to help with destigmatizating rare diseases! Thank you so much for sharing those posts and resources to help those who need it most! ❤️
@fruityPond7887
It was actually also very interesting for me because I learned lots of new things about rare diseases and it made me feel disappointed when the project was put to a halt.
@globalBraid3744 Yeah it's really hard to see these types of projects halt because they are so important. Do you know why it was halted?
@fruityPond7887
The marketing team that was responsible for posting it said they had too much work (even though I already gave them all info and proposed to do the design as well). They said we could continue again after the holidays, but I moved to another city and nobody took over this project.
@fruityPond7887
It's a sad reality, often times research on medications and treatment are geared toward profit based needs. The most heavily researched and sought after treatments are the ones that a lot of people are affected with and could make the most money.
@sunnyWriting4806 You're right and it's horrible. Healthcare is a big scam and caring for others is definitely not their first goal in mind. I wish that we would focus on all diseases because even if a disease doesn't affect many people, those individuals are still struggling with it. They deserve relief too.
I love this and I agree so much! I have a rare autoimmune disease and it sucks that we have to try things that just MIGHT rid of the symptoms, rather than having FDA-approved medications for our specific illnesses!
I have 3 rare disorders one of which doesn't have an official diagnosis because I cannot get a doctor who can do so (it's still on my medical record as being assumed) and a 4th is being looked into.
Even with a diagnosis and a treatment plan I find I don't get ideal healthcare as too many healthcare providers would rather do nothing and have me suffer than do something that they don't have any familiarity with, even with a documented protocol of what should be done.
We also tend to be forgotten when it comes to policies, so much of that was seen with covid. From our usual healthcare to vaccination clinics to covid medications like paxlovid and evusheld. My husband had a tough time picking up my blood products from the bloodbank in the hospital even as screeners at the hospital wanted proof of a doctor's appointment to let him in and were unaware the bloodbank distributes products for home use.
@AffyAvo I am really sorry to hear about all the complications with your rare disorders and Covid. I can understand how frustrating that would be. You're right that a lot of doctors tend to give up if they don't automatically know of or have treated an illness that they haven't seen before. There's this show on Netflix that you may find interesting. It's called Diagnosis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnosis_(American_TV_series)) These patients have illnesses that they aren't sure what they are, so they look for help by submitting information to the NYTimes and readers will call in and give potential advice! It was very interesting.
@fruityPond7887 Yeah, I have seen that. With the assumed diagnosis I actually did all of the real work on that myself, along with requesting particular tests which one of my specialists did order for me. None of my doctors were aware of the connection, I had to send medical journals to another specialist who then agreed and put it on my record. I actually diagnosed another myself too, at that point I had many tests, but none of my doctors had heard of the condition when I mentioned it to them and when I was sent to another specialist he confirmed what I had figured out.
Something that is highly needed is more integrated healthcare. No one really looks at my health overall as a whole, I am told my GP and internist are supposed to do that but when I have conditions they have never even heard of before a summary from my specialists isn't really enough to put the pieces together. They can't even all access all of my test results which I find incredibly frustrating.
Rare disorders do tend to cluster, so I think many of us need healthcare that doesn't just section us up into systems to get the best support.
@AffyAvo You are amazing at advocating for yourself and you should be really proud of yourself for that! It's really hard when doctors don't collaborate together. They should have a universal system maybe for all doctors to put medical records. I am sorry that you have had to advocate so hard for yourself, but at the same time, it's good because you know yourself and your body best! Never give up when you have a gut feeling about something!