Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Stylist: B12 benefits: how vitamin B helps your mental health, according to a food psychologist

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 April 11th, 2022

KIPPDW6fWJsKFV-UFXjePhTsZvXW4-09mLE6ReuBNGWlhgmplFDy4jFOMzL3byjjxYkyTWwBu-tF9T5N7M1U5h6jiXKgcN3XQ7vpAsCA46e-eFGbPgC4Rsl_Sl5EhH0KMZpMjkm-


“…Scientists have proven that we can feed our gut to elicit full-body effects. Some well-established ways of doing that are by eating fibrous foods that produce serotonin, and fermented probiotics to support the microbiome diversity that impacts immunity and mood.”

“...There’s another crucial nutrient for your brain as well as your body, and that’s vitamin B. Vitamin B is divided into eight compounds, each with unique brain benefits. But it’s B12, nicknamed the energy vitamin, that’s got a huge role to play in our psychological health.

“...one of the main signs of vitamin B deficiency is fatigue, lethargy and not really having the energy to do anything,” explains Kimberley Wilson, a food psychologist. This makes for an interesting overlap with mental health: “Of course, a couple of the symptoms of depression are a loss of interest in things and a loss of energy. It can therefore work in both directions. Maybe someone is depressed for other reasons and it leads to those features or sometimes there’s a deficiency which causes depression by bringing on those symptoms.”

“Vitamin B is also responsible for the reactions that make our brain function the way it does. “They are essential elements required for enzyme reactions. So, in order for an enzyme to be able to do what it does, it almost needs a ‘backup’ of B vitamins,” explains Kimberley.”

“In the case of mental health, they help with the release of serotonin, dopamine, GABA, noradrenaline, melatonin – all the neurotransmitters which can affect our mood and mental health. B12 is also particularly important in long term brain health too, helping to fight off degenerative diseases.” Read the full article here. #MentalHealth #Vitamins #Neurotransmitters


My take:


Coming across this article reminded me of why I started drinking nutritional protein shakes for breakfast. Not only have they provided me with an easy way to get the caloric intake I need to get started, but they are full of nutrients (such as B12) that my body needs. And ever since I started taking better care of my health a few years ago, I’ve been keenly aware of what I put into my body as well as how my body itself responds.


A question for you all:

In your own lives, what ways do you make sure that your bodies get the nutrients that they need (such as Vitamin B12)?




36
User Profile: Fluxelixir
Fluxelixir April 11th, 2022

I try to eat everything there's in the market. But, it's very random right now. The food and the mood for food. I have some supplements also.


I'm kinda focused on magnesium right now.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 4th, 2022

@Fluxelixir

I definitely get that. I take magnesium myself as well and I have a friend who takes several supplements for his health.

As far as food goes, the older I get the more I realize that what I put into my body really does directly affect how it feels. So to this end, I really do try to eat a balanced diet that meets my nutritional needs.

load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo April 11th, 2022

I actually don't get all that I need. It seems like anytime I'm tested there is some nutritional deficiency. I do make use of supplements plus try to include things that are rich in the things that seem to lack but I can't seem to get to the right balance. Chronic issues and at times some medications can make hitting the right balance really difficult.

COVID has made that worse as testing is less frequent and it's harder to access doctors.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 4th, 2022

@AffyAvo

For what it's worth, in my own situation I also I get how chronic health issues and medications can add complications to just feeling our best everyday. I've had to really good at listening to my body for when and how much I should eat. Among other things and for other reasons, taking care of my body has really turned into a full-time job in itself. And while I didn't see this coming, it is the body I'm in, so I guess I'll take care of it. :)

load more
User Profile: Dallady
Dallady April 12th, 2022

@sereneSunset26

That’s a huge question that I could write a book in answer to.

I have fortified nutritional yeast I sprinkle on whatever or make a cheese sauce out of using cashews, garlic, salt, olive oil, lemon and water.

I have a morning and evening routine that includes skin care, oral and body hygiene, journaling and drinking water.

I using a gratitude journal (see below) and the 5 minute journal from the company ‘intelligent change’ (app and hardcover available - have put out one for kids too).

Like I said I couldn’t write a book on it in this post. There’s so much more to it. Chapters upon chapters upon chapters. Tips and tricks and hacks are drops in the ocean of change.


User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 4th, 2022

@Dallady

Thank you so much for sharing! I am so impressed by the extent that you practice your own self-care of your body. In my experience, I have realized that taking care of ourselves equally affects our physical as well as our mental health. At first, it was just the physical effects on my body that seemed most noticeable, but as I've aged, it really seems to be as much of a boon for my mental health as well.

User Profile: Dallady
Dallady May 15th, 2022

You’re very welcome, and thank you! Seeing mental health as important is very insightful and understanding. Yay


@sereneSunset26

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 16th, 2022

@Dallady

It really is!! The older I've gotten, the more I've realized that mental health is easily just as important as our physical. And that the two are really interconnected as well.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Dallady
Dallady April 12th, 2022

_1649731218.D719BD13-2D89-4452-ACDB-40BCE2A65286.jpeg

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 10th, 2022

@Dallady

I just wanted to say that your journal looks so awesome!! :)

User Profile: Dallady
Dallady May 15th, 2022

Thank you! 😀


@sereneSunset26

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 16th, 2022

@Dallady

How long have you been keeping/writing in the journal? :)

User Profile: Dallady
Dallady May 16th, 2022

Weeell if you mean the journal in the image, I have filled about 20 of the pages!

As for doing 5 Minute Journal, I’ve been doing that for about eight years.

Thanks for asking, do you have any more questions? 😊 😊 😊


@sereneSunset26

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 17th, 2022

@Dallady

I do actually!! :)

What keeps you in the habit of that level of self-care, especially with regard to drinking water and consistently journaling?

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 May 11th, 2022

@Dallady

Thank you for sharing this, Dallady. It is very useful!

User Profile: Dallady
Dallady May 15th, 2022

Your welcome! 😀


@globalBraid3744

load more
load more
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 April 12th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 I really try to eat well, but sometimes it doesn't go as well as I would like 😅 I like to take vitamins and I especially like to buy protein shakes with all the good stuff in them!!

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 4th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I totally know what you mean with protein shakes. As soon as I discovered them five years ago, they became a staple of my breakfasts--every single morning. 😅

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 May 5th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 They're soooo delicious but I need to buy them in bulk because buying them individually is expensiveeeee!😩

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 10th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

Yep!! That is a lesson that I learned for myself as well, haha. :)

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: purpleTree4652
purpleTree4652 April 12th, 2022

@sereneSunset26

I take vitamins and supplements including super B complex and Hair, Skin, and Nails, which is a combination of various vitamin Bs.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 4th, 2022

@purpleTree4652

That is quite the eclectic combination there - have you noticed the positive effects of vitamin B in your life in all of those areas?

User Profile: purpleTree4652
purpleTree4652 May 4th, 2022

@sereneSunset26

Yes

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 10th, 2022

@purpleTree4652

That's awesome!!

If you don't mind me asking further, in what specific ways have you noticed all those benefits? :)

User Profile: purpleTree4652
purpleTree4652 May 10th, 2022

@sereneSunset26

When I first started taking vitamin B, it felt like a rain gauge filling up. What it was filling up with, I'm not sure. But I have a lot of energy. And I also have healthy nails, skin, and hair. My skin heals quickly. My blood pressure is healthy. I don't get sick with colds or flus often. My mood is also lifted.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 16th, 2022

@purpleTree4652

My goodness, that is awesome!! Almost sounds like Vitamin B has been something of a panacea for you that way in your life. Goes without saying, but (as you know) our quality of life is tied so much to our health. :)

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: GreenWoods
GreenWoods April 12th, 2022

Am a big believer in food as medicine. Now obviously food cannot treat lots of conditions or literally replace scientifically designed medication (e.g. chemotherapy). But making deliberate and informed decisions relating to food and drink - such as more fruit and vegetables, less processed food, supplements that tackles any specific gaps you have - very often helps the situation and can make you feel better.

For example, my mum suffered with bad migraines for many years. Then she deliberately A/B tested every aspect of her diet to eventually identify that lactose was a big cause of her migraines! With reduced lactose, her migraines are far less often now :)

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 April 15th, 2022

@GreenWoods I had the same thing happen to me! I used to get these horrific migraines that would cause me to get sick and I went to the doctor's and eventually I realized that caffeine was the root of it. I had to stop drinking iced tea and caffeinated coffee, but honestly it's probably better for me (especially no soda). I do miss iced tea, but luckily Starbucks can still make decaf coffee!

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 4th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I do find it a bit prescient that I came across this post, haha. Because, while I've never been that big of a caffeine consumer in my life, I have started to notice the tell-tale caffeine headaches. There's a caffeine pill/supplement that I've had as my "break glass in case of emergency" fall back, and recently, I'd started to take it a bit more often. Turns out, that was far too often for my body--hence those headaches. So I've backed off it a bit and so have the headaches. 😂

load more
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 4th, 2022

@GreenWoods

I 100% agree; what we put into our bodies directly affects how we feel on a daily basis--it took me way too long to realize this for myself, but I'm glad I did.

I've been fortunate enough not to have too many issues with food, but I have come across foods that I don't digest as well, so that's been something for me to keep in mind.

load more
User Profile: withdrawn
withdrawn May 11th, 2022

im a little confused by the article, it didnt say anything about Vitamin C (according to https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/vitamin-b12-side-effects#side-effects vitamin C actually slows down the absorption of b12, so you need even more)

and it didn't mention any of the side effects of having too much b12



User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 13th, 2022

@withdrawn

Your confusion would be the result of a typo on my end. It should have said Vitamin 'B' on the topic title instead. :)

User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo May 13th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 Changed! 😊

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP May 16th, 2022

@AffyAvo

Thank you!!

load more
load more
load more