Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Guardian: Muscle strengthening lowers risk of death from all causes, study shows

User Profile: SoulfullyAButterfly
SoulfullyAButterfly March 1st, 2022

sgy3irW.jpg

"Half an hour of muscle-strengthening activity such as lifting weights, push-ups, or heavy gardening each week could help reduce the risk of dying from any cause by as much as a fifth, according to a new global analysis of studies conducted over three decades.

Health guidelines recommend muscle-strengthening activities, primarily because of the benefits for musculoskeletal health. Previous research has indicated a link to a lower risk of death, but until now experts did not know what the optimal “dose” might be.

The analysis found that 30 to 60 minutes of muscle-strengthening activity every week is linked to a 10% to 20% lower risk of death from all causes, and from heart disease and cancer. The results were published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

Muscle-strengthening activities can include carrying heavy shopping bags, yoga, pilates, tai chi, lifting weights, working with resistance bands, doing exercises that use your own body weight such as push-ups and sit-ups, heavy gardening such as digging and shoveling, wheeling a wheelchair or lifting and carrying children."

Read the complete article here

💬 Which activities do you engage in for muscle-strengthening?


#PhysicalHealth #Exercise


9
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 March 5th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

This is such a reaffirming article that supports healthy exercise supporting general overall health! I particularly find this article really enjoying read because I love weight-lifting! As someone who enjoys body building as a hobby and as part of my routine, I'm particularly happy that this hobby brings about so much more benefits other than just the increased muscle mass.

Thanks for sharing this!

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 March 5th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Wow! This is a really interesting article! Thank you for sharing! I think that I really like to go to the gym and use the machines to get a range of strength training for my body. I love the feeling of being sore after because I know I actually did something productive! Now the problem is, I actually need the motivation to go to the gym! 😳😮

User Profile: pebbs123
pebbs123 March 26th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I need to lose 20 lbs

User Profile: hound2021
hound2021 March 26th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

walking.

User Profile: EmbStitcher33
EmbStitcher33 March 27th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I totally agree with this. I have ankle weights I can strap on when I go walking. I need to do more of that when the weather gets warmer... I also like to carry hand weights... even light 3 lb weights can help tone and bring your heart rate up more. Don't have to go at a break neck speed either. Just do a nice stroll. Even a five minute walk to start if that's all I can muster at fist. The important thing is to start out slow. Don't over do. Great info! Thank you ❤️ 😊

User Profile: Loveyourfate
Loveyourfate March 27th, 2022

Thanks for the info very helpful.

User Profile: purpleTree4652
purpleTree4652 March 27th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Hi, Butterfly,

Both of my jobs are physical. I work in a warehouse where I am required to move large quantities of clothes, all at the same time. I'm bending down and picking up piles of clothes and carrying them to other locations. I'm also moving large amounts of clothing, all at the same time, on racks, that are hung above my head. It isn't easy. I also work as a maid, which is very physical.

March 27th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly Thats great. Me and my wife have recently started working out whenever we get some time, and I can see the difference in our general health. My wife is also learning yoga. She wants to try out modeling as well(it might sound ridiculous at this age after becoming a mom), but if it is helping her to be healthy, then its a great thing we believe.

It has also brought back the spark in bedroom