Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Why Christmas Movies Make Us Feel Good

User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 December 7th, 2022

“There's no better way to start the holidays than with a Christmas or Holiday movie.

The Benefits of Holiday Movies

There are several benefits from a journey into Christmas movie land. Holiday movies can boost mood and relieve symptoms of depression by providing an escape from daily stressors and increasing perspective-taking. They are heart-healthy, reducing stress hormones like cortisol that can damage the cardiovascular and immune systems. Positive emotions, like hope, joy, and gratitude, can stir personal and social reflection and inspire new activities and goals. Sharing a movie increases intimacy and can even improve relationships. And they are easy, uncomplicated, and have happy endings.

Nostalgia Triggers Emotion

Christmas movies are designed to activate emotional resonance through nostalgia. They rely on our desire to visit the "good old days" with images, stories, and music that stimulate our sentimental and wistful associations from the past. Christmas movies remind us of times in our lives that were simple, hopeful, fun, and happy.

Feel-Good Stress Busters

Christmas movies allow us to flee the stressors of the holiday and forget our troubles. They provide easy access to effective an effective coping strategy: a healthy, time-limited escape traveling into a story that makes us feel good, reminds us of the meaning of love, helps us feel gratitude for family and friends, and even have a little vicarious romance. The predictability of holiday movie plots and characters is part of the appeal.

Family-Friendly Bonding Traditions

It's an added benefit that most holiday movies are family-friendly, providing a way to create new traditions. When we watch with others, we create shared memories, amplify positive emotions, and strengthen relationships

Positive Media Consumption

Positive psychology represented a shift in how psychologists approached the spectrum of human experience. The focus on pathology made room for the scientific study of the things that helped people flourish. This extends to media consumption. Media gets a bad rap, but there are recognized benefits of media-related activities like watching movies, from mood-boosting and stress release to personal and social reflection."

Read the full article on Psychology Today

_1670455638.image.png

✨Takeaway: Make some popcorn and take a Christmas movie vacation if you're beginning to feel the stress of the season. You may think of it as self-care!

✨Reflection: What’s your favorite Christmas movie?

#Christmas #Holidays #MentalHealth #Pyschology #Positive #Movies

9
User Profile: Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 8th, 2022

@innateJoy9602 Omgg I feel this is for me lol, I've been on a binge and hunt for all the feel good ones. XD

More recommendations needed, anyone? 😮

I sooo agree, Joy, christmas movies are super wholesome, and "feel good" kind. 🥰 I don't have a favorite yet hehe, but some I like more are, The Holiday, A boy called Christmas, Christmas Chronicles etc!

merry-christmas-images-christmas.gif

3 replies
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP December 8th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

I don’t think I’ve watched any of those actually! *Adds to watchlist :P

I have been babysitting lately and we tend to go for some animation classics like Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer, and Polar Express!💜

christmas-tree-holiday-vibes.gif

2 replies
User Profile: Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 8th, 2022

@innateJoy9602 Aww are you enjoying babysitting? (This reminds me of a Netflix show lol, The Babysitter's Club, it's wholesome) Awesome so we can do an exchange xD I've added these to my watchlist also. Yay!❤

1 reply
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP December 8th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Yes, I love kids! I haven’t seen The Babysitter’s Club either! You have me about to go on a movie binge! 💜

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: SparkyGizmo
SparkyGizmo December 8th, 2022

@innateJoy9602

Hi Joy! 😊❤️ Many thanks for creating this forum post! Wow! No wonder I love Christmas movies! 😊 I thought it was really special how you also included the concept of traditions. Gives us all something to look forward to and especially if the tradition is watching these movies with loved ones. ❤️ Gosh, as for me, I love so very many Christmas movies!

*high fives* 😊 and *hugs* ❤️

2 replies
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP December 8th, 2022

@SparkyGizmo

Hiya Sparky! Traditions are really nice to have! The bring a sense of comfort, I feel. Exactly. Nothing like cozying up to watch some feel good movies with loved ones! High fives and hugs back! 💜

happy-holidays-gifkaro.gif

1 reply
User Profile: SparkyGizmo
SparkyGizmo December 8th, 2022

@innateJoy9602

❤️❤️❤️

load more
load more
User Profile: LetHopeBeYourGuidingStar
LetHopeBeYourGuidingStar December 8th, 2022

@innateJoy9602

Perfect timing, I was just thinking about watching a Christmas movie this weekend! And now I have a perfect explanation for why they have such a comforting "feel good" effect!

A family classic is the Polar Express, it's very nostalgic as it has been a Christmas tradition for us to watch it as far back as I can remember. The soundtrack was absolutely amazing I think, because of how powerful it is. Just hearing it brings a whole wave of nostalgia and comfort rushing.

I wish you all a magical December!

1 reply
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 OP December 8th, 2022

@LetHopeBeYourGuidingStar

The Polar Express never fails! It’s a must watch every year and it never gets old. Very nostalgic indeed. Wish you a magical December as well :) 💜

load more