Writers, what do you do when you have the motivation but not the energy to write?
For the past few while I've been wanting to write but December and January were hard months for me energy-wise and it's been upsetting not being able to do something I want to do. Does anyone have tips that could help me out? (Besides just sitting down and writing because my brain just does not like doing that for some reason.)
@CosmicDolphin
Hey 😊 I am not sure if I can correctly understand the difference between "motivation" and "energy", because for me they are usually the same thing.
I think one of the most difficult parts is pouring your thoughts from your mind down on the paper or screen. It used to be easier and more intuitive with handwriting, but I also got used to use a computer.
Once I've had some idea that using a voice recorder instead of typing (before writing the spoken text down) could be a solution. I thought about some voice-to-text processing software as well, but I am afraid it is still too far from being reliable.
Hi! I completly understand the feeling.
I often see myself in this situation, when I get the motivation, the vibe, the right feelings to write, but I just can't bring myself to touch the keyboard.
Sometimes, listening to my playlist, created specifically for my story, helps to boost my energy and my motivation sometimes reaches my hands.
Sometimes it doesn't, and even tho this is rly frustrating, I think it's ok. I do other things that I enjoy and sometimes I manage to draw my energy from there and then use it to write.
Or I just start talking to myself about the story and start typing random things related to it in my drafts document, without any commitment. So there is no need for much nergy. And then sometimes I get to finally put my words in place and I start writing to the actual story.
I hope this helps somehow 💖