Drowning in emotion...unsure how to handle my emotions
Hi...so my boyfriend of almost 7 years just broke up with me and I am still confused as to why. To try and give an idea of our recent situation, I lost my Dad last year and his Anniversary was recently and I asked him if we could go to my Moms and he responded with that he had plans to go to his Aunts to help her and to ask him before I make plans. And I responded I didnt make plans I am asking you. So from there he didn't come and I was a mess so I reached out a few days later and I was open about how he made me feel. So with him, he will usually say "I am mad myself" or "I know i f$%&ed up" so I literally told him that this was the first time in our relationship that I considered seeking someone elses attention and that i think we needed to take a break because what he did was very hurtful and he was wrong for how he handled the situation. He begged me he would change and begged me not to break up with him. So i say it will take sometime for me not to be hurt and angry but things become good again. Now he takes on a 2nd job that requires him to work overnights almost everyday and I warn him that he is stretching himself thin and I dont forsee him fairing well, he said he knows but he promised his friend he would help. Ok fast foward, we havent really seen each other because he has been working but he tries when he has free time which I understand and dont push. He says he misses me, that it feels like we are in a long distance relationship because we haven't really seen each other and says he plans to take some time off so we can spend a few days together. Great, I think but still hesitant because he does say things sometimes and doesnt follow through. Fast forward, he calls me and asks me if we can change our Friday plans so he can take his Dad fishing for Fathers day because he missed it because he worked. And i said absolutely its your Dad. Work on Friday, go fishing Saturday and we will hang out Sunday. No worries right and i said just promise me not to pull your usual b.s. with oversleeping or something else, he promised he wouldn't. So Sunday comes and he was supposed to be over at 4pm, that comes and goes, 5pm goes by so at 6pm i text him "Hello", i get " hi" back I said i guess you arent coming? His response " My brother called me, his boat is broke" Nothing else so i have no idea if he is coming over. So im upset I text him around 9pm again not hearing from him and again im upset so it wasnt a nice text. He responds Im not fighting and im not doing this now. I call him and he answers with an attitude and I try to ask him why he didnt come over and again I am upset so he responds with same thing he text me that he isnt fighting and he isnt doing this and hangs up. I try calling again he doesnt answer and texts me he is trying to sleep to stop calling. Next day wasnt much better we fought again I tried to calmy talk but he just yelled saying it wasnt just me that he was treating this way it was everyone and I told him i am not everyone and i didnt make you mad your brother did because he woke you up. So he said he was tired of fighting with me and couldn't do it anymore then I am not sure what I said but it triggered him and he screamed at me really badly and I hung up. I reached out the next day and asked if he calmed down and he said yes and he was mad at himself. So from there he said he is trying to work on himself because he is tired of hurting me so he says. He said he is going to try and speak to a therapist. I am just really hurt and confused because this came out of left field and I feel like I was an innocent bystander who got the brunt of whatever he was going through which he does do because he has no patience and can go from 1 to 100 really quick. I dont know but i am really confused and really hurt. 7 years is a long time and not having him, he is my best friend. Just trying to make sense of it.
I’m sorry to read all of this. If this is a pattern of behaviour that he screams at you calms down and says sorry he will get help that he will change and it won’t happen again, then I think that you need to decide what you really want, if he keeps telling you that he will get help be always avoids doing it then is he really going to do it? Especially if he is always busy. I might have read it wrong and miss read this but if what I have said is true, then the only who is putting time into making this work is you. I am sorry if I have miss read this. I would leave and say when you have gotten help then I will talk about being in a relationship with you. Until then I’m sorry but I can’t be with you until you get some help with your anger so we can have happy healthy relationship. Again sorry if I have miss read. If he refuses to get some help then he won’t ever change for someone he says he loves.