Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Should I get back with my ex boyfriend if we both want to get back together and we both want to make things work?

User Profile: impartialEast2102
impartialEast2102 August 17th, 2017

Recently I broke up with my ex because of his ways long story short he started to become really controlling, wouldn't let me hang out with friends, was always accusing me of things that weren't true, was disrespectful as I was with him. We both acted this way except I wasn't controlling. He recently contacted me again saying he wants me back because I'm what he really wants. We are now talking again but haven't decided if to get back together. We've both made mistakes which led to not trusting each other in the end. But we are both willing to change our ways for the better but is it really for the best? I do love him that's for sure no denying how I feel. Please and thank you!

6
User Profile: Psychologicalpolarbear03
Psychologicalpolarbear03 August 17th, 2017

@impartialEast2102 honesty, trust yourself. Do what you feel is best. As long as you are safe. Worst case in scenario things dont go how you would like and you break up again. Do whatever you feel :)

2 replies
User Profile: impartialEast2102
impartialEast2102 OP August 17th, 2017

@Psychologicalpolarbear03 thank you! I mean it's going to be hard if we do decide to get back together especially the trust part since we'll have to gain each other trusts all over again.

1 reply
User Profile: Psychologicalpolarbear03
Psychologicalpolarbear03 August 18th, 2017

@impartialEast2102 thats understandable. Whatever you feel is best :)

load more
load more
User Profile: freshLight64
freshLight64 August 18th, 2017

@impartialEast2102

Hey there, hopefully you are doing well, theres a few things I would like to point out;

Recently I broke up with my ex because of his ways long story short he started to become really controlling,(When someone begins to be controlling, its where the other person doesn't feel free anymore. They don't like being uncertain so they begin to control to gain certainty because deep down the person is insecure and fearful) wouldn't let me hang out with friends (This is a problem, he was perceiving threats, acting jealous, fear losing you, he also seems to have trust issues so he started to control who you can interact with)., was always accusing me of things that weren't true, was disrespectful as I was with him. (It sounds like the relationship was very toxic and unhealthy) We both acted this way except I wasn't controlling. (You two have a lot of similar separate issues, the thing is that you both would trigger each other constantly, so it might become an on/off things, a lot of fights and arguments will happen, moments where you both will be mad at each other. The thing is that theres unmet needs with you two so you try to meet those with each other) He recently contacted me again saying he wants me back because I'm what he really wants. (There's a chance he want you back out of loneliness, or something else) We are now talking again but haven't decided if to get back together. We've both made mistakes which led to not trusting each other in the end. (A lot of these issues has to do with how both were treated as a child, so all of it transfer into the adult romantic relationship, then triggers at certain moments) But we are both willing to change our ways for the better but is it really for the best? I do love him that's for sure no denying how I feel. (The main issue here is that yes things will be good for a bit, for perhaps weeks or a couple of months, but then those behaviors you two have will come back. You both would need to overcome insecurities, fear of abandonment, not feeling good enough, and many others things before getting back together. I could see you both triggering each other constantly, this is not something that can be overcome in a week, or months, it takes a loooooong time, and if there's no professional help then it'lll take even longer. My suggestion would be to work on those behaviors to the point where you have overcome them before entering a relationship with him or anyone else) Please and thank you!

1 reply
User Profile: impartialEast2102
impartialEast2102 OP August 22nd, 2017

@freshLight64 thank you very much!

load more
User Profile: SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES
SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES August 23rd, 2017

You have to do what you feel is right for you, time will tell if you've chosen wisely or badly.

My life experience however tells me that controlling people have limited ability to change. You don't want to be controlled and dominated down the line after you are married and children become part of the scene.

Best wishes in your decision making heart