Wanting to make a new friend. Not sure how to do it.
Hey everybody, I'm Michael, a 19 year old college student.
To say the least, I've been living a rather lonely life. I never really learned how to socialize with people. Don't get me wrong, I can speak with classmates, and maintain a conversation about the course material. It's just the small talk that I never really put into practice.
I'm in my 3rd college semester, and I still have yet to meet someone who I have continued to keep in touch with after the end of the semester. (A friend). I'm on good terms with a lot of people, but I just never took the initiative to ask more about them. Because of this, they just become another friendly face in the halls. Nothing more.
In one of my classes, I've been working alone for most of the semester. Though about a month and a half ago, a girl asked if I could help her with some of the questions. I don't really know why she would ask me, of all people. - including the teacher, other class mates, and even her friends who sit with her. Though it did show me that she is at least interestedin becoming friends with me.
We've been comparing our answers on and off for quite some time now, though we still don't know each other very well. There's just never any time or opportunities given to me, to be able to chat with this girl 1 on 1.
- She is with a friend of her's 100% of the time.
- The class is rushed, in the sense that we can leave as soon as we're finished our work.
- I never see her out in the hallways, lunch areas, study areas, etc.
Recently, we were assigned our second project. I had the courage to ask her if I could join her group of 3, and I was accepted. It was a good day. I finally had an opportunity to chat with her. Today, however was a bit disappointing. It was decided that we split the work (as is custom for group assignments) . We divided into pairs. "the girl", of course working with her friend. and me with another friend of her's.
I guess it is good news, in some ways. This other friend of her's is actually very nice and everything. I wouldn't mind befriending her as well. I'm just a little crushed that I've now lost my opportunity with the other girl. There's just something about her that I can't quite explain.
We have a test coming up next Thursday, and we were given practice questions. So I was thinking of maybe sending her a message (with the school messaging system) and asking if she would like to work with me some time this week. Not necessarily any time soon, because it's not due for at least a week. I don't want to seem desperate. :P
Does that seem like it would be a good idea? I wouldn't really know these things. >_<
I would go for it. You should be proud of yourself for making an attempt to talk to this girl. Plus it's never too early to study especially if it's a class she's not great in. Showing interest in her and her studies is a great start :)
I think you should do it! That's awesome that you've built up the courage to get this far with hopefully befriending her and maybe even her friend and you should be proud of that. It sounds like she would be interested in studying together, and you may even be able to set up a 1-on-1 to get to know her better as well. Good luck!