Dad not thrilled about rejoining a Writer's club in Oliver because "bad neighbourhood"
I once joined a writer's group in Oliver in August 2019. It's actually called something else but I'm calling it a writer's group for simplicity. I told Mom I was thinking about at the end of the month (Feb 29th) of going to the Writer's group again. The other day I mentioned to Dad about my potential plans to go to the Writer's group in Oliver and Dad's not exactly thrilled with the prospective because of the fact the business that the group meets in is in a 'bad neighbourhood" .
As far as I can tell from (other chatroom) -most of us writers (and the 2 I actually meet in-person) in the group are women and they had been meeting for some time even pre-Covid in the same location. I would think if the neighbourhood was so bad- they would have tried to find a different location.
As Mom said-I'm not going to be standing outside smoking or anything-at the most getting in and out of at least a car.
@Disneywoman It sounds like you value your writing group and finding a space to write. You mentioned your dad has concerns about the neighborhood. What are the reasons he has for those concerns?
@ASilentObserver Dad just calls it a bad neighbourhood- you know smokers, druggies, thieves*, etc. But I don't think it can be quiet a bad neighbourhood as he describes because most of us writers on the *** (and 2 I meet in-person back in 2019) are all women. IF the neighbourhood was as bad as my dad's paranoid mind makes it out to be-that I would think that the women would have tried already to find somewhere else to write and since they haven't -I believe the neighbourhood must be safe.
*of course he's paranoid about everything I got a new coat about 2 Nov ago and I wore it last February and since I was going to work on I think either Thursday or Friday and Dad was paranoid about something was 'going to walk away with the coat" to the point he told me to keep it in the Office Admin's office.