Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Spouse prioritizes son and mother in law over wife.

User Profile: mcs19
mcs19 June 23rd, 2025

Ever since I had my son 3 years ago, my husband prioritizes my son’s needs over mine. I feel like I’m put back burner and our relationship has turned into co-parenting. I talk to him about it; he gets defensive. I recently asked if we could go on a date again and have 1 on 1 time. We have never gotten a sitter and don’t have family or friends nearby to watch our son. I am open to finding a babysitter. My spouse says he doesn’t trust people and our son can come with us. Essentially shooting down the idea to regain a friendship with me. Our relationship is strained, raising a child without family nearby.

We also recently had a visit from my mother in law. We paid for her entire visit (as usual). In turn she would only talk to me inappropriately when her son was out of the room. As well as only talking to her son when I was inside and he was outside with the dog. Her behavior created a rift between me and my husband. She has since flown back home 700 miles away and left my spouse and I in conflict. My husband thinks I’m overreacting but he defends her on every issue she tried to provoke and doesn’t stand up for me.

Anyone else had something similar?

Am I in the wrong to feel this way?

2
User Profile: Aayla
Aayla June 23rd, 2025
@mcs19 you're definitely not wrong to be worried, a marriage should be more than raising a child and running a house. If there's no real connection between you anymore, this can only lead to unhappiness and frustration. If you try to repress the need for a better relationship for the sake of your son, it will eventually blow up later. Your husband needs to understand that 1-on-1 quality time with him is not just a whim of yours, your relationship is seriously at stake here. So is your child's wellbeing, because a child can't be happy if his parents are in a conflictual relationship. Ultimately, the wellbeing of your family and your son, that he tries to protect, is also at stake, not just your own happiness (which should be important for him too).
I'm not necessarily saying to give him an ultimatum, but he's seriously neglecting how important this is and the consequences it might have. If you make it totally clear to him, he will have to choose between keep neglecting it and ruining your marriage, or taking the matter seriously and putting an effort to make things better.
1 reply
User Profile: mcs19
mcs19 OP June 23rd, 2025

Thank you. Your post is validating. I’ve said similar words of us having a better connections for the wellbeing of our son and growth of our family as a whole. It was poorly received. We’ve done therapy years ago. I suggested it again and it did not go over well. I want to bring back the connection we had and be better. I hope he would want to do the same. He has this wall up of “no” for all suggestions.

I recently lost my dad and the importance of leading a happy, purposeful life is seemingly more important than ever right now. Re-evaluating an trying to be better for me, my husband, and son.

load more