Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Contacting daughter’s ex family

User Profile: braveDog2822
braveDog2822 September 6th, 2022

My daughter’s bf broke up with her (won’t go into details but I don’t blame either party). The families were v close but since he unfollowed me on social media I kind of have not contacted his family since (2 months). However his mom has stayed in touch with my daughter and been nice and communicative. I feel it is time I reach out and say hello, we stay in the same small town and I don’t want to make things even more awkward. Is this ok? Thoughts pls.

6
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 September 6th, 2022

@braveDog2822

if you were close before and it seems like an amicable break up ... I see no reason not to stay in touch if you choose....

User Profile: braveDog2822
braveDog2822 OP September 6th, 2022

@toughTiger6481 thanks. well we texted occasionally but like they both spent time at both homes and we’re family essentially. I am leaning towards reaching out what’s the worst she might not be as warm and then I can just stop but I regret not reaching out I feel knowing my personality.

load more
User Profile: Bryanwu2006
Bryanwu2006 September 7th, 2022
@braveDog2822

If you guys live really close and it is a small town, I think keep in touch is a good choice, if it seems that it might not be that acward then you probably should keep in touch.
User Profile: braveDog2822
braveDog2822 OP September 7th, 2022

@Bryanwu2006 yep agree. i will also thank her for keeping the communication open with my daughter that has been strangely comforting for her.

load more
User Profile: Moonlight050
Moonlight050 September 7th, 2022

@bravedog2822

I would proceed with caution.

I was your daughter at one point to find out my mom wanted to & continued contact w my ex/family really upset me especially because it was so recent. I am sure she is hurt being that she wasnt the party who ended the relationship. I recommend you ask her how she feels about it first.. never ever assume that things are “ok” especially if she does not want to go into details. This tells me something happened because if it was a mutual separation, she would have said just that.


It never hurts to ask but i think it would hurt her if you did it without her consent.. I understand the families grew very close but the ex boyfriend didnt hesitate to remove you off social media which gives the impression that he didnt consider you that close of family & wants to cut ties. I would really think about it & keep it cordial but im sure its much more awkward for her in this situation.

I hope this helps you or anyone reading! I wish you best of luck!

User Profile: braveDog2822
braveDog2822 OP September 8th, 2022

@Moonlight050 thanks. I have only said hello and how are you she replied back with the same. So that’s it really so that if we bump into each other in the supermarket it is not awkward. She does say hello to my daughter and vice versa when they bump into each other (quite often being a small place and all). So I am not doing anything more, I did run this past my daughter before sending a hello to the ex’s mom.

load more