Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I can’t tell if he wants me to get better or not.

User Profile: musashi554
musashi554 May 24th, 2021

My boyfriend of 5 years is not.. ideal I guess some would say. We have rough patches but I truly do love him. I should start this by saying I’ve been dealing with anxiety for most of my life and it’s worsening to a bad point where I have been told multiple times to see therapy. He was one, he was all for me trying to get help if that’s what I needed. He said it seemed like I was having a kid life crisis but that it didn’t make sense because I’m in my 20s. During a bit of an argument just now that started from him not picking me up when he was supposed to, I mention how overwhelmed I am at the thought of finding a therapist and I’m met with “why the f@$& do you need a therapist?”. I’m just at a loss right now as to even think. There are times when he listens to me and is right there with me but then is like a switch is flipped the next day and he’s rather cold about it.

3
User Profile: ouiCherie
ouiCherie June 1st, 2021

Hi @musashi554 how are you now?

I can imagine how you felt overwhelmed, and probably disappointed that moment when he said that at the time you need his support. Has his opinion about you getting a proper help for anxiety changed since then?

User Profile: musashi554
musashi554 OP June 3rd, 2021

Hi, uh yes and no. He’s definitely been a bit more understanding but I can’t help but feel almost betrayed by what he said. I can’t seem to shake it even when we are having a good day it just lingers like the intrusive thoughts. He broke down about his own depression and we had a long talk about both of our mental states which are not very good so it seems like we are at a bit of a stand still. I am ready to get help but I don’t think he is and possibly this is where is reservations towards my seeking a therapist comes from? Idk just a thought I guess. Thank you for your response it feels very good to feel heard.

1 reply
User Profile: ouiCherie
ouiCherie June 3rd, 2021

@musashi554

You're most welcome and hope you get the much needed help 💙

If you get proper professional help, then you'll have a better chance to help and support him. Great thinking *thumbs up*

load more