Currently on a break from my boyfriend of 3 years... Don't know what to do.
So the reason why he wanted to take a break is because I've had trust issues from previous relationships, and have brought it into my current relationship, and it's been a recurring problem. He told me that his mental health is being affected by it, and wanted to take a week-long break from each other so I can focus on myself and he can focus on himself. I think this week has given me so much opportunity to grow and become better mentally for myself and for our relationship, because I've taken every single opportunity for self-love and growth. I'm really excited about the progress I've been making, and I kinda wanted to share it with him, but the break isn't over yet. Would it be a mistake to contact him early? Would I be intruding on his time?
@nfaorosn
I think so.
Maybe you feel ready, but doesn't mean he is.
If he asked for time he really needs it. When he's ready to talk, he'll contact you
@nfaorosn
Hey there, hopefully you are doing well. There's a few things I would like to point out;
So the reason why he wanted to take a break is because I've had trust issues from previous relationships, (I don't think your trust issues comes mainly from your previous relationships, I do suggest you take a closer look at your childhood because on most cases it will start from there. The previous relationships made your trust issues worst, but the most important thing is to heal from it) and have brought it into my current relationship, (I don't know what happened in those previous relationships since you didn't mentioned it, but its like you get this anxiety when it comes to certain situations and then it makes you lose emotional self control. It's also like, you want to be close, but at the same time the past hurt keeps coming up each time) and it's been a recurring problem. (One important thing here is being able to become aware of what's goes inside of you, and learning how to soothe those feelings during those times even though its very challenging) He told me that his mental health is being affected by it, (This will play a part on it, but the main reason is that he is feeling smothered and trapped) and wanted to take a week-long break from each other so I can focus on myself and he can focus on himself. (This is definetly his way of saying that he is feeling smothered and needs space) I think this week has given me so much opportunity to grow and become better mentally for myself and for our relationship, because I've taken every single opportunity for self-love and growth. (I'm proud of you for working so hard and learning new things. I suggest you research on attachment theory and what goes on the unconcious because it will help you a lot.) I'm really excited about the progress I've been making, and I kinda wanted to share it with him, but the break isn't over yet. (I believe the change won't easily happen in a week, however it will happen when you do a consistent effort everyday to work on things. Usually your motivation will be so high during a break or a breakup, but might be low once you two talk after having space. It's important to keep on working on yourself even if you two are like before) Would it be a mistake to contact him early? (Yes, it will communicate to him that you haven't changed and it will make him feel smothered. You are looking to soothe your anxiety by contacting him early, he will let you know when he is ready) Would I be intruding on his time? (Yes and it will have a negative effect on the relationship)