Friend being an a$$hole because I didn't want to talk about climate change politics.
My friend and I were on *** the other day, normally we'd watch videos that one of us would stream on call. He put on a video about "the truth of climate change", pretty much a video ranting about climate change politics etc. I'm not interested in politics at all and I don't like talking about it, but my friend always finds something to debate. When the video was over, he asked what I thought about what the video talked about.
I wasn't feeling great and I could have worded it better, but I said "to be honest, I really don't care. I don't have the bandwidth to talk about stuff like this right now". He said "oh, ok then" and put on a much more light hearted video. A few minutes later, he started to be really passive aggressive, mocking me and insulting me saying stuff like "you have down syndrome", "oh I don't have the bandwidth to watch this video" and calling me cringe for playing an anime rhythm game (We're both in our early to mid 20's btw).
I'm not a confrontational person at all, so I either laughed or said "I just didn't want to talk about stuff like that" etc. I got off call after a while and went to bed. It's only really when I woke up that I completely clocked how out of pocket he was just because I didn't want to talk about something, even if I worded it poorly. I haven't talked to him today and I don't really want to talk to him for a little while. I don't want to stop being friends with him, but the way he treated me was completely uncalled for.
@YongenJaya
Hey there, that's understandable, sometimes in the guise of friendship we may think each other to be more "comfortable" and be able to take more insults/hurtful statements under the guise "it was just a joke" yet sometimes it can lead to hurt. Perhaps maybe being transparent with your friend and asking him to be considerate next time or spending some time away may be something to consider. If only friendships could be easy both ways...
@YongenJaya I agree, it was uncalled for and not talking to him for a little while seems appropriate.
Of course, the alternative would be to confront him about the way he treated you, but you are not a confrontational person, so that's not your style, and you have the right not to be forced into a confrontation by anyone.
Charlie