Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Who was your best friend at school or college and share about this unique friendship...

User Profile: KatLis123
KatLis123 November 3rd, 2020

I am not a teenager but I used to be one so I know what it's like to be there.

I had friends whom I was hanging out with after school, helping each other with homework, going on school trips together and sport acitivities. I was full of energy and so I wanted to spend most of my time outdoors playing with other kids my age. We were going mountain climbing and cycling around our home town. It was fun and exiciting. However, after graduating, we didnt hang out as much and our main form of communcation was over the internet - social media. But I don't regret those moments didn't last. One day you grow up and go separate ways which happens to everybody.

We can't wait to hear what you have to share about your own experiences with friendships as a teenager.

12
User Profile: HikaritheFox
HikaritheFox November 3rd, 2020

My best friend of 4 years, Jillian, or Jelly Bean, Jilly, Jilly Bean, Jelly Bean the Greenbean, etc.

I met her in the 4th grade when I switched schools in the middle of the year. I was lonely and had no friends. At some point during a school sleepover, the teachers asked us to split into groups, and I, having no friends at the time, was looking around with my stomach sinking as I saw other girls getting with their friends, giggling at jokes I'll never be a part of.

That's when I met Jillian. She waved me over to her group with a bright smile. She introduced herself and her friends, Olivia and Ava. We just clicked. From then on, our friendship grew stronger. I never really developed friendships with other girls as most were fake and used me to get popular. It was never like that with Jillian. I could be myself and not be afraid of getting judged. We were as tight as thieves and spent lots of time together. Over the years, I considered her my best friend, and, one of my only friends. I never trusted the popular girls as I thought they were faker than Nicki Minaj's arse. We got each other gifts, one of which she gave me a cute cat tape dispenser that I still have to this day. She introduced me to Totoro, Pusheen, etc. She encouraged me when I thought my drawings looked like sh*t.

I never gained any more friends until the 7th or 8th grade, where I met Tran, Emily, and Meg. I moved schools at the end of 8th grade as I couldn't take the constant drama and just needed a change of pace.

As of right now, Jillian and I rarely speak. We didn't have a falling out, nor are we in a fight. Our friendship is just...fading away. I guess the saying "Out of sight, out of mind" is true.

I miss you, Jilly.

User Profile: KatLis123
KatLis123 OP November 3rd, 2020

@HikaritheFox

I know how it can feel when you don't have friends but You also said that you met some whom you developed strong friendships with. So you didn't feel lonely anymore. :) It surely must have been hard to find a good friend you can trust and talk about anything what's on your mind without worry.

Thank you so much for sharing!! <3

User Profile: Blue2001
Blue2001 November 3rd, 2020

@HikaritheFox

Yeah, i really know what you mean about the " the out of sight and out of mind" thing

load more
User Profile: AquaNavySky
AquaNavySky November 3rd, 2020

At school I had a best friend from year 6 to year 12. Honestly, I think she is one of the few people in my life that I've ever really loved and felt comfortable around. We met in year 6 since she was new to the school then and one of my other friends at the time was assigned to be her buddy and show her around the school. She instantly became our friend. I've always been a shy and introverted person, but being around this friend was all I needed to feel included even if I was quieter than my other friends. Over the years, I slept over at her house many times and I loved her family as well. We even went on holidays together. I think the reason we aren't as close anymore is partly because I was always afraid I was going to get replaced. It seemed like she was always making a new best friend and it made me feel really insecure but I never told her that. In retrospect, I know that being insecure was my problem and of course she should have had other friends. Anyway, after school ended we kind of tried to keep in contact via facebook but I've never been great at that so we've slowly grown apart. Also she moved a few hours away so it's hard to see her in person as well. Now I recieve a message from her every now and then but it's not the same. I feel like we've both kind of changed a bit as people. I regret that I let insecurity cause me to doubt our friendship and that I became so withdrawn after school. But I am thankful for what we had and I'm glad we had some great times together as kids.

User Profile: KatLis123
KatLis123 OP November 4th, 2020

@AquaNavySky

But I am thankful for what we had and I'm glad we had some great times together as kids.

Absolutely! Sounds like your friend meant a lot to you! :)

load more
User Profile: Person12269
Person12269 November 4th, 2020

In first grade, I met someone with who I'd become very close friends. We spent a lot of time together, and we considered each other best friends. I remember towards the end of first grade, he had a birthday party and invited me and that was the first time that our parents met. My mom and his mom are extremely close friends too, even seven years later. We were in the same class in first and second grade, and I loved our friendship. In third grade though, I transferred to another school in the same school district because I got into the advanced program, but we still kept in touch. Our moms, knowing how precious our friendship was, arranged trips and stuff during summer break. I remember we went to Seattle and Vancouver for a week-long vacation, and that was really fun. In fourth grade though, we started to grow apart, and by fifth grade we didn't talk very often. However, in sixth grade, both of us got accepted into the same private school, and we were both really excited about it. We started to become close friends again, but not as close as we were in first through third grade. But we're still pretty close friends. We chat a lot, and we help each other with homework and stuff. But I'm scared that our friendship will fall apart again. For high school, I'm trying to get into another private school - actually my school's rival, because of a thing that happened in the high school at my current school. I don't know if he's planning to apply there either, and I haven't been brave enough to ask. I really hope so though.

In sixth grade, I met another friend. We met in cross-country early on in the school year through a mutual friend, and we grew very close very quickly. I remember when we were joking about how we sent about a hundred emails a day (which was an exaggeration to an extent, it was 50ish lol). We were really close friends, and we remained so through sixth grade and most of seventh grade. We had a falling out in seventh grade though, and we didn't talk to each other for a few weeks. We then started messaging each other again and became friends again, but our friendship was never the same. We're still friends, but we have occasional falling-outs.

Another friend that I consider myself to be very close to is one I've just gotten close with this year. Last year, she was in my advisory, and we were friends, but we weren't very close, but this year we're in the same advisory again, and we became very close because we were the only girls in my advisory that were in our specific friend group. Over the first month or so of school, we always chatted in advisory and we were pretty close. But a few weeks ago, another one of our friends came back to in-school learning from being a remote student. The two of them have been hanging out a lot more lately, but we still talk and message each other sometimes.

User Profile: KatLis123
KatLis123 OP November 4th, 2020

@Person12269

I loved reading your story about your friendships and how quickly it evolved. You sound like you are a loveable and easy to get along with person who was able and confident enough to build so many meaningful friendships over a short period of time. As time changed you and your friends also, but, somehow you still maintained some sort of communication and are pretty close. Well done, I think you are amazing. I hope you stay happy!! <3

User Profile: Person12269
Person12269 November 4th, 2020

@KatLis123

Aw, thanks so much! This really means a lot to me! And I hope you're happy and safe <3

load more
load more
User Profile: Jaeteuk
Jaeteuk November 4th, 2020

I thought I had a best friend that would end up to a long-lasting friendship. I met her in 6th Grade, although we ended up going to different high schools, we still hung out over the weekend and sometimes go play tennis after school. I had treated her as my best friend, after graduation, I moved out of town for University and we stayed in touch through email for a year. I dropped out in my second year and returned home, only to find out we were moving to a city about an hour drive away from our hometown. At that time, I still considered her as my best friend, for the next 7 years, her boyfriend would sometimes drive her out to where I was and we'd grab a bite together. Or sometimes, I would meet her at a shopping centre in the middle. Once a month we would meet up. After those 7 years, my dad retired and we moved back into our hometown. In the first year of moving back, I met with her for one last time. I felt like I had to call off our so-called "best friend" status. All those years we've been friends, not once did she take the initiative to ask me out. Guess what she tells me, "I've always been l like this, and you knew all along". So, all those years, she did not change one bit, nor did she try and keep our friendship when I mentioned I wanted to call off our friendship. It's been about 3 years now, we don't even text each other. We did in the first year, but just greetings for holidays and birthdays. Now, I don't even know how things are going for her. I only know she had a son about a year ago. She ended up marrying the guy she met in high school, and they moved into a townhome, living with her in-law (because her mother-in-law passed away from cancer a year before they got married, so that her father-in-law isn't by himself, they live together). They also have cats, like maybe 3-4, don't remember how many.

And that's my story of a friendship that I once had starting in my teens. I'm currently friendless. Back to being a loner, and getting close to my mid-30s!~

User Profile: KatLis123
KatLis123 OP November 4th, 2020

@Jaeteuk

I am sorry to hear you feel like you are alone and dont have friends like you used to. A lot has happened in your life that may have brought a shift in your friendships and made you grow apart, but I wouldn't say your past isnt something to remember at all. Every friendship you were in, it taught you valuable lessons - what it means to have friends, how to treat them and what really matters in life. You learnt all that over the years through different experiences. I want to say, you arent alone, or dont have anyone to talk to. First I am always here if you feel lonely, so are others if you like additional support. We are here for you to support! Hugs <3

User Profile: Jaeteuk
Jaeteuk November 5th, 2020

Thank you for your kind words. I've unfortunately had many negative friendships in the past. None of them turned out well. I think now, it's more of a trusting issue. I recently had a negative incident at work. I was misunderstood of my intentions and some coworkers filed a complaint on me. After being spoken to by the Manager, I no longer feel comfortable around them. Whether that be working the same shift, or simply talking on the phone with them. I once walked past one of them, and it was basically total ignorance from them.

The people I know, they all have friends to hang out with or is just a phone call away. I have nobody like that. Usually around my birthday, I will spend about a month worrying about my future. Will I ever have any friends? Will I ever meet my significant other? Will I be by myself until the end? So, every year, for at least a month, I'm depressed with all those thoughts and worries~

@KatLis123

User Profile: KatLis123
KatLis123 OP November 6th, 2020

@Jaeteuk

I am sorry you feel lonely, like your work colleagues take you for granted and you want a friend to talk to about your troubles, and possibly find a relationship you're hoping you'll be happy with. Thats ok, and you know what you wish to have in life. When you do, you will cherish it. You can have my support and I'll treat you as my friend. I know your situation makes you feel depressed and you worry a lot, but I'm here for you if you need me. <3

load more
load more
load more