Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Your Ideas needed! What would a verified member acct look like!?

User Profile: Laura
Laura March 22nd, 2018

One idea, I have long percolated on is a verified member acct. In the upcoming weeks, we will be announcing more information about a verified member system. The key feature will be member email confirmation to unlock participation in some parts of the site.

Since day one, listeners have had to verify their email ids in order to sign up. From there, with experience and trust built up in the community, they can apply for the Verified Listener badge after completing a mock chat with a member of the VL team. For context, prior to becoming Verified, a listener must reach the below milestones:

A. Have 50+ Chats

B. Have 1100+ Cheers (Novice Level 4)

C. Have 1+ positive written reviews

We want to bring a similar program to the member side for the following reasons -

-allow members to build trust and reputation in the community

-allow trusted members to help with quality assurance around the site

-allow members to show their level of commitment to their personal growth journeys and our community


So my question to all of you is……

What could this look like? We will be asking members to verify their emails, but beyond this, what baseline criteria would a member have to reach to become verified" ???

Some examples of possible criteria are -

-50 chats with listeners

-10 upvotes on the forum

-X number growth points

-zero mutes, warnings, behavior points

-------> Please share your feedback in this thread. And vote on some criteria options here. I want use a form for this to ensure I capture all of the ideas and feedback in one structured place.

**id love to hear from as many members as possible. Listeners, you are welcome to give feedback, but I encoueage you to put on your member hat. We want this program to represent and enhance the member experience.

175
User Profile: Mustang1
Mustang1 March 23rd, 2018

Create your own avatar as your profile photo with the option of uploading a real photo..

User Profile: emmahorner0109
emmahorner0109 March 23rd, 2018

I think I photo personal to them without being to personal somthing for a mind to focus on

User Profile: jrblss18
jrblss18 March 23rd, 2018

From the suggestions made earlier, I don't like the idea of X number of listener chats or X number of growth points but especialliy the listener ones because everyone goes at their own pace and for me personally it takes a lot of guts to talk to a listener so i usually prefer group chats. Everyone has certain features that they value more or a certain way to use the cite. It feels like if this idea was used in the wrong way it could be forceful for a lot of members on this cite. IDK that's how i feel. I do think verification is a good idea to prevent trolls and harmful behaviour but maybe we need to look at verification in a different way. I think the lack of warnings or mute is a good idea but tbh i can't really come up with a good idea. This is what i think, I hope what i've written make sense.

1 reply
User Profile: loyalDrum2337
loyalDrum2337 March 24th, 2018

@jrblss18 It makes sense to me, and I agree with you. I'd definitely feel forced or uncomfortable, even if no one but the admins could see it. For so long, I've searched for a website where I could chat, tell someone my problems, or ask for help/advice in desperate situations and they've all asked for verified email, phone numbers, or didn't accept pmails/guests (I've wanted a place where I could just ask a question cause I couldn't ask those around me irl without making an actual account as I didn't even have an email). Which I still don't now. That is a very huge problem for me and I'm wondering if I'm the only one who will be an unverified member because I couldn't get a confirmation email. The email address I have now is from a friend who doesn't use their email, but I don't see them all the time. So I haven't confirmed it(thus I am unable to change my profile pic but don't care as long as I have access to forums and chats). But when can I get it verified and what if they get an email from 7 Cups for me? I don't have my own and I thought it was fake when I found out that 7 Cups was anonymous. It was the best thing in my life and I'm sorry but personally, I don't like this idea. It completely changes what I liked most about 7 Cups. I don't have any ideas for spam, trolling, etc., but this doesn't sit well with me. Neither does having 'Verified Member' on my profile. I know it probably doesn't make sense, but I would feel somehow less or looked down upon when Listeners or other Members see 'unverified' or just no 'Verified Member' when looking at my profile. Even if I was able to verify it, I wouldn't like it for others either.

(Sorry this turned out long, I ended up ranting cause I really panicked when I saw this post overall and how some people agreed so I had to add my opinion. It is only an opinion so, of course, others can disagree)

load more
User Profile: DripDrip
DripDrip March 23rd, 2018

I really dislike this idea it just separates community on cups

User Profile: independentNorth7826
independentNorth7826 March 23rd, 2018

My only question is, does it mean that when in 1 on 1 chats queue the listener can see who is verified or not? Cause so its a bit unjust cayse it means listeners will choose those verified first. What about member who is 1st time on? You will loose revenues if like this.

User Profile: jacobjackson666
jacobjackson666 March 23rd, 2018

It should look a lot different from the basic accounts

User Profile: peachApple7742
peachApple7742 March 23rd, 2018

They would be friendly and comforting

User Profile: Majesticmoon37
Majesticmoon37 March 23rd, 2018

Try to add a way to schedule actual appointments not just work times. I had to download a whole different app just sp i could remind myself to check on a client i helped yesterday and follow up with them at the time we agreed.

1 reply
User Profile: shonali22
shonali22 March 25th, 2018

@Majesticmoon37 you can change the profile page (different color and with the badge)

1 reply
User Profile: Majesticmoon37
Majesticmoon37 March 29th, 2018

@shonaali how?

load more
load more
User Profile: hollowman84
hollowman84 March 23rd, 2018

There was a time when 7Cups was a very important outlet for me. During this extremely difficult period of unemployment and loneliness, as I am plagued by constant feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness, having the opportunity to be a listener here and focus on the needs of other people was invaluable for me. I spent a lot of time, many hours, a lot of energy, and a lot of genuine, heartfelt effort to be a good listener, always considering what it would be like in that person's shoes. Over a period of three to four months I dedicated much of my time to my listening, listening to over 60 people or so, many of whom I listened to on multiple occasions. You can check the record and verify this, I don't like to sound my own trumpet, but I had earned myself a strong credential as a listener. Look at the reviews. I was a good listener. Unfortunately, the powers that be (faceless, uncaring patrol squads like members of a Kafkaesque bureaucracy who remain shrouded in mystery) flagged me more than once for baseless reasons. I was provided warnings two times for "inappropriate" behavior which was never specified and which I have never figured out the reasoning for. But my side is immaterial. Because when someone else (who I had met offsite, with no connection to 7cups) created a 7cups account, stalked me, and eventually, out of a vindictive, destructive pursuit to tear me down, submitted a blatantly false report claiming I had initiated a relationship on 7cups and then harassed this person. These allegations were not only false, but slanderous, yet the faceless powers that be accepted every word of this report at face value and subsequently decided to nullify my listening account. You guys shut me down, ostracized me in the manner of the rest of the indifferent world. I was given absolutely no recourse for appealing this or offering my own account of events, no chance to provide my own defense against these injurious, bogus allegations. You terminated my listening account and that was that. There is no opportunity for redemption or for me to straighten the record. The faceless powers that be, operating on an inflexible assumption that one is guilty once accused and has no right to argue his/her innocence or clarify what has been a gross misunderstanding, have effectively condemned me without good cause. Thanks a lot. I hate you.

10 replies
User Profile: lyricalSea85
lyricalSea85 March 24th, 2018

@hollowman84 So sorry to hear that man. But your work is appreciated. And your contributions are valued. Don't worry. Karma has its own way of setting things right.

7 replies
load more
load more
User Profile: Maggie1962
Maggie1962 March 23rd, 2018

wish things we post would not disapear. Sometimes i forget where I posted and what I posted. and there was a msg for me I just glanced at on my phone app. Now i can not find it. :-( wish this was more user friendly :-(

1 reply
User Profile: hollowman84
hollowman84 March 24th, 2018

@Maggie1962 I completely agree. There are so many flaws with the phone app for this site. And even on the PC, there needs to be a more convenient way of finding a post to a threaded discussion, especially when the threads go on for a dozens and dozens of pages.

but i hate 7cups admin for terminating my listening account and ruining my entire experience. so i dont care what they do.

load more