Life, As It Is (Reflections) - Sep 2026 and onwards
Hi everyone, I hope you’ve been well.
Life, however you look at it, is not easy. It’s demanding, unpredictable, and often doesn’t go the way we plan. It can also feel isolating at times, like you’re the only one dealing with certain challenges, or like you’re stuck in patterns of thinking that don’t really help.
But if you look into philosophy, psychology, or even religious and spiritual traditions, you’ll notice something consistent. People have been dealing with the same kinds of struggles for a very long time. And over time, they’ve developed different ways of understanding and handling those realities.
Just adding a bit of context to this thread. I usually share a reflection every Monday and Friday with the admin team. There’s no fixed theme. The idea is simply to revisit useful ways of thinking about life, often drawn from people who have spent time studying it deeply or have navigated it well.
Most of these lean optimistic, but not in a surface-level way. More in the sense of helping make peace with challenges, uncertainty, and the limits of our control, and finding ways to think about them that are a bit more steady.
I’ll try to post these here as well. You can subscribe to the thread if you’d like to get notified when I add a new reflection. Expect about one or two posts per week.
Feel free to respond, add your own thoughts, or just read quietly. And you can ignore it entirely too. Just putting it out there in case it’s useful to anyone.
I needed this message today. I often feel like I’m the only one who is struggling. This post rings true!
Friday, October 2, 2026
“The quality of a decision cannot be judged by the quality of its outcome.”
— Annie Duke
One of the more difficult things to learn in life is how to focus on the task in front of us: to use the knowledge, resources, options, and abilities available to us and make the best decision we can. Then, having done our part, to let go of the outcome.
This idea appears in many religious and philosophical traditions. We are asked to focus on what is within our responsibility: the work, the effort, the choice, the intention. The rest is not entirely ours to determine. As T. S. Eliot put it, “For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business.”
A great deal of our anxiety comes from reversing this relationship. We do not simply want to do our best; we want our best to guarantee a particular result. We study, but we are really trying to guarantee an A. We work, but we are trying to guarantee success. We make a careful decision, but then spend enormous amounts of energy trying to predict whether it will work out. The pressure can become so great that we procrastinate or avoid trying altogether, because failing after giving something our all can feel more frightening than never fully trying.
But an outcome contains far more than our effort. Timing, circumstances, other people's choices, randomness, and factors we could never have known about all play a part. A good decision can produce a disappointing result, just as a poor decision can occasionally work out beautifully. Neither outcome tells the whole story of the decision that produced it.
Detachment from the outcome does not mean indifference to the work. It means caring deeply about how we do our part without pretending that doing our part gives us ownership over what happens next.
And perhaps this is where some of the pressure can finally fall away. It is easier to study when the task is simply to study. Easier to apply when the task is simply to submit the best application you can. Easier to make a decision when the task is to make the best decision available to you, rather than to somehow predict the future correctly.
If it works out, you did your part and life happened to cooperate. If it doesn't, you did your part and life did not unfold according to your hopes. Neither outcome needs to become a verdict on you.
Our responsibility is the trying. The outcome belongs to a much larger system than any one of us can comprehend.
Monday October 5, 2026
Hi everyone! I have three quotes for today as they all relate.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” - Lao Tzu
“Nature does nothing in haste.” - Aristotle
“The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.” - Carl Sagan
Look around at how nature operates: seasons shift gradually, trees grow quietly, and rivers carve through stone over centuries. As Lao Tzu and Aristotle observed, nature never rushes, yet everything still gets done. So much of the frantic urgency we carry daily isn't grounded in reality. It is an artificial pressure we manufacture ourselves. You are allowed to take your time. There is no inherent hurry built into existence, only the natural pace required for conditions to align and for your life to unfold.
The anxiety of feeling "behind" usually stems from the belief that we are performing on a stage under a spotlight. But echoing Sagan's reflection on the indifference of the universe, the world is far too consumed with its own weight to be keeping track of yours. There is no central scoreboard recording who hits life milestones first, no reward for finishing early, and no real penalty for arriving late. Society's timeline is a made-up concept with no objective authority over your path. The world simply does not care, and that indifference is a quiet, liberating gift.
Once you realize there is no audience evaluating your timing, you free yourself from a completely unnecessary misery. Behind relative to what, and in front of whom? You aren't on display to be measured against an invisible standard; you are simply in motion. And motion does not need an audience to be valid. Drop the performance, reclaim your timeline, and move forward at a pace that is uniquely yours.
@Hope I read books and practice a lot about it. Whether I want to or not, I still practice what I read. I can't share my thoughts too much in public because it's too abstract and a headache, but it's true. Some of them could have given me trouble more than I thought because I don't know, abstract thinking are easy to get a misunderstand. I'm a person who grows through practice, so I don't remember what I read clearly. Your reflection about your week is great; I didn't have the habit of reflecting until 2025. Maybe I'll start making a list of quotes to reflect on my reality.
October 9, 2026 (Friday)
“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”
When life feels difficult or things do not turn out as we hoped, our instinct is often to change the landscape. We look for a new job, different opportunities, or a change in circumstances, believing that what we seek must exist somewhere else. But sometimes, what we need is not a new landscape, but a new way of seeing the one we are already in.
There is an old saying about a man who wanted to change the world, then his country, his town, and his family, before realising that the only person he could truly change was himself. And once he changed himself, his world began to change too.
Perhaps we spend so much time searching for something better elsewhere that we overlook what a shift in perspective could reveal. Sometimes, the most meaningful discovery is not finding a different place to stand, but learning to see where we stand differently.