Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

January 10 - Animal icons live across the site: Forums, chatrooms, profiles & usercards!

User Profile: Laura
Laura January 10th, 2018

January 10 - Animal icons live across the site: Forums, chatrooms, profiles & usercards! Yay, they are so cute!

Learn more about this update here!

Find your join month animal assigment below!

January - Dolphin - get to know other dophins here

February - Penguin - Get to know other penguins here

March - Horse - Get to know other Horses here

April - Camel - get to know other camels here

May - Elephant - get to know other elephants here

June - Kangaroo - get to know other Kangaroos here

July - Star fish - get to know other starfish here

August - Fish - get to know other Fish here

Sept - Bunny - get to know other Bunnies here

Oct - Eagle - get to know other Eagles here

Nov - Butterfly - get to know other Butterflies here

Dec - Turtle - get to know other turtles here

256
User Profile: mutter3
mutter3 January 13th, 2018

My animal is a horse. Can I just be the back end???

January 13th, 2018

Instead of asking us to 'give it a try' I would really like the mentors to look deep. People didn't ask for it. Although admins came up with this idea, it is creating more unrest that it is getting welcomed. Instead of asking us to forcibly accept something we are not liking, I think it is time they started respecting and understanding the word 'choice'. Majority of people have chosen not be included. So they made their choice.

Secondly to the admins, I now strongly feel that the option of OPT IN/OUT should be provided. I read through the posts and found that admins are waiting for more feedback which is acceptable. I hope they read through it, understand the real concerns and provide adequate provisions for people to Opt in/out of this. Clearly some people like this idea and would like to continue which is welcome by me. So Opt in feature would be cool. And I dont think it would be a very heavy update.

Lastly....kindly respect the choices of people. A supportive community always is caring and understanding. Without people, there is no community and without respect and understandting, there is no society. Thanks.

User Profile: Menzoberranzan
Menzoberranzan January 13th, 2018

I just got here and noticed this when looking around. Personally, I think it is divisive.

User Profile: dsunsinedtste1965
dsunsinedtste1965 January 13th, 2018

I have a beautiful horse and 3 hospice dogs they love the elderly

User Profile: SensitiveSab
SensitiveSab January 13th, 2018

How does this work? Sorry I just joined today

2 replies
User Profile: StarJourney
StarJourney January 13th, 2018

@SensitiveSab

Hi SensitiveSab and welcome :)

This is a forum thread that announced that they have added a little animal icon to eveyone's screen name. The animal you got it's based on the month you joined 7 cups. You don't have to do anything to get the icon, it goes automatically. In this thread, people are responding to the announcement, and voicing their opinion on the change. You may share of you like the icon or not, but you don't have to.

I hope you find what you are looking for on this site. The forum is really large, so take your time exploring. :)

(And happy new year!)

1 reply
User Profile: SensitiveSab
SensitiveSab January 14th, 2018

@StarJourney thank you!

load more
load more
User Profile: mutter3
mutter3 January 13th, 2018

I believe this is being used to break up cliques associated with certain rooms by replacing them with new new cliques associated with "adorable " animals so everyone will be friends. Hugs🙂 lol

User Profile: eeveeon
eeveeon January 14th, 2018

I am going to give my honest feedback on this regardless of my role on this site because it is important to support the communities thoughts.
HERE IS AN EXTENSION TO REMOVE THE ANIMAL IF IT IS BOTHERING YOU AT ALL. *Scroll down to his feed*

1. Separation
2. Power
3. Inconsistency
4. Messiness


This update has done nothing but separate the community.
A large percentage of us feel separated from each other since we're all "categorised" now. At first, the members felt separated when DS2 and DS1 were removed (which I am stilled annoyed about), and now this. Your intention was to create a cute little image but in actual reality it is damaging peoples thoughts and opinions.
It diminishes the point of this site, to be communal. It has created separation. Some peoples cultures refer to animals as a label of importance or rank, as mentioned in someones answer in this thread. If you take into account religion, culture, beliefs, thoughts, and emotions, you wouldn't "consider" changing, and immediately add an 'opt-out' option.

This update has given others power.
An eagle, versus a butterfly, fish, starfish, or turtle.
Think of the eagles significance. It is internationally known as powerful, strong, higher, a leader. The rest of us feel completely let down. It is not an act of jealously, rather we are let down knowing that we are categorised into something that diminishes our efforts.

This update is inconsistent with what needs to be done.
We all know how hectic this site has become, and little updates like these need not be focused on, rather the real issues. I don't want to see the issues of stalking, spamming and circumventing ignored and 'covered up' by "cute" updates like these. I want to see action, a plan of attack, a goal of the admin team. Why haven't we heard this? I personally haven't seen anything that supports to members of the community in regards to these issues. Members are becoming fed up with reckless treatment.

This update is messy.
I think most of us can agree that the chatrooms now look extremely messy. It gave me headaches because of colour-blindness, so the extension was essential for me.
I love 7Cups, but I want to keep things professional or at least succinct with a professional setting.

Your intention to be creative and cute is nice, however I need you all to look deeper. I've been looking through the replies to messages in this thread and most of them have been inconsiderate and unhelpful. They have been completely ignored.


I'm disappointed, but hopeful that you will consider making a change for the better of your community.


1 reply
User Profile: BeeLeigh
BeeLeigh January 14th, 2018

@eeveeon

Im not hopeful for the very reasons youve stated. The replies throughout this thread by Laura have been dismissive, insensitive, and hurtful. Just knowing that I have a blue dolphin next to my name is pissing me off. Ive gone back to my previous profile pic of a purple butterfly, because the dolphin is so irritating.

load more
User Profile: Raveninthelabrynth
Raveninthelabrynth January 14th, 2018

@dancingRainbow45

3 replies
User Profile: BeeLeigh
BeeLeigh January 14th, 2018

@Raveninthelabrynth

How you doin Raven?

2 replies
User Profile: Raveninthelabrynth
Raveninthelabrynth January 14th, 2018

@BeeLeigh VPAFWJ

(Vertical, Pumping Aire, an Filled With Joy)wink

1 reply
User Profile: BeeLeigh
BeeLeigh January 14th, 2018

@Raveninthelabrynth

Well that

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: ffmedic112
ffmedic112 January 14th, 2018

I am still waiting for NONI to shut up for good..... Not concerned with animals.

4 replies
User Profile: eeveeon
eeveeon January 14th, 2018

@ffmedic112

Here's an extension if you'd like to block Noni
(**Note, I did not create it. I don't know who did)

1 reply
User Profile: ffmedic112
ffmedic112 January 14th, 2018

@eeveeon

I shouldn't have to add a blocker. it should be integrated into the site. I can't install things on work computer (which is where i get on unless i am on my app on phone). So this does me absolutely no good.

User Profile: RainbowTrie
RainbowTrie January 16th, 2018

@eeveeon Thank you so much! I keep getting alerts thinking a member needs me and its just Noni. So many false alarms.

load more
User Profile: BeeLeigh
BeeLeigh January 14th, 2018

@ffmedic112

I asked Noni to please stop messaging me a bunch of times and I think she finally did. 🤞🏻

2 replies
User Profile: ffmedic112
ffmedic112 January 14th, 2018

@BeeLeigh

it won't even let me clear the messages or acknowledge that I have read them. it keeps saying Ihave new messages all the time. I give up. I hate noni both as a listener and as a member.

1 reply
User Profile: eeveeon
eeveeon January 14th, 2018

@ffmedic112

Oh no, I totally agree, I dislike Noni. It was just a suggestion since we don't have an "official" opt-out option, however I suggest that Noni becomes optional.

User Profile: BeeLeigh
BeeLeigh January 14th, 2018

@ffmedic112

Yeah no I do too, but if you ask her to stop messaging you she might. Worked for me 🤷🏼‍♀️

User Profile: hypnosis
hypnosis January 15th, 2018

@ffmedic112 just reply to her with the the word stop and she will shut up. She will eventually a messsage you a few days later, just repeat the word stop. Keep doing that whenever she messages you.

load more
User Profile: bestWillow5048
bestWillow5048 January 16th, 2018

@BeeLeigh Haha

load more
User Profile: CmanG
CmanG January 16th, 2018

@ffmedic112

load more
User Profile: carefulBalloon3447
carefulBalloon3447 January 14th, 2018

@Laura The more I read the posts in this thread the more frustrated I'm getting, yet it's not actually the update itself that is bugging me.

7 cups is clearly a huge community with a variety of different users - listeners and members all at different stages of their individual journeys. While each person should be treated as an individual, this should be a community where the same level of respect and care is given to each person no matter who they are or what their position is here on the site.

I have both a member and a listener account and honestly, I'm disgraced at the way some people get treated throughout the site.

I spend a lot of time supporting members from the trauma support community and I won't deny that many members do feel supported there. What seems to be overlooked are the members who aren't given the support they so clearly need in the forum. Several times in this thread I'm seeing that feelings are being dismissed or invalidated and while I can see why some are feeling that way, I'm furious that the same degree of care and compassion isn't shown to all members who are on this site.

Towards the end of last year a member was extremely triggered by something posted in the forum. she spoke out about this and stated that it would have been helpful if there had been a trigger warning in place to have prevented the struggle she the faced. Whilst the member who posted the initial thread gave a very heartfelt apology, other listeners present in that particular thread made no effort to validate or even acknowledge the pain she was going through, this in itself was bad enough yet what made it worse was that those listeners continued to make light of the situation (that's the politest phrase I can use here)

I find it so hypocritical that now others are triggered about these animals, that everyone is standing up wanting things changed. I totally understand what it can be like to be triggered and know how serious it is for anyone dealing with trauma (past or present) but when will we see some kind of equality here? When will everyone's feelings matter? Yes there will always be groups of people who are closer than others. It's life. It will happen. But this is supposed to be a mental health/ emotional support site! It shouldn't matter who is posting about their feelings. It shouldn't matter if they have a role or if they are popular. They are here for a reason as we all are.

I love what 7 cups stands for and I love the fact that we can support each other through tough times.. but don't pick and choose which members are supported or not.

I'm sure that everyone's views (especially with how many are clearly upset by this update) will be taken into account but I think everyone needs to make an effort to treat people with the same respect throughout the site

3 replies
User Profile: tallTiger3903
tallTiger3903 January 14th, 2018

@carefulBalloon3447 am glad someone finally said this. I wanted to myself but was worried I would have people shouting me down for it

User Profile: neatWatermelon2514
neatWatermelon2514 January 15th, 2018

@carefulBalloon3447 @Laura I agree so much with this.I wanted to b part of that particular sub community but it was the favoritism among the people there that prevented me from speaking in times of need. I think i to rgat its hypocritical that those very people are now complaining about not being validated and being dismissed. Not good 7 cups. Everyone should b treated the same

User Profile: BeeLeigh
BeeLeigh January 15th, 2018

@carefulBalloon3447

I actually completely disagree with what you

1 reply
User Profile: carefulBalloon3447
carefulBalloon3447 January 15th, 2018

@BeeLeigh thank you for responding, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I don't wish to cause upset to yourself or any other members of the community so I won't carry this on further I was simply explaining how it happened as I was online throughout that night and saw it happen as each post was made. Again, thank you for your response

load more
User Profile: pluckyBlueberry5622
pluckyBlueberry5622 January 16th, 2018

@carefulBalloon3447 thank you.finally someone actually says it.It happens in trauma sub com and in other sub coms too

load more