Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

AMA event Thread! Live AMA with 7 Cups therapist @HannahCaradonnnaMSW! Live Conversation will happen in this thread on 2/17!!

User Profile: Laura
Laura February 14th, 2017

Review the event announcement, presubmit questions and RSVP here!

Report back to this thread on Friday 2/17 at 12:00 PM EST for the live chat!

124
User Profile: RumpleSteeleSkin
RumpleSteeleSkin February 17th, 2017

@Laura

I'd like to ask...Do you practice in your life what you share to your clients??? How much do you believe in what therapists are taught??

User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 February 17th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin ... Rumple, that will vary a lot depending on who you ask. Also there are several 'schools of thought' that pre-therapists are taught. It also depends what sort of belief system the person has going into school (college and grad school) and it's probably different from country to country too. So, hard question, I'd say. ~ Platy (grad with psych major)

User Profile: RumpleSteeleSkin
RumpleSteeleSkin February 17th, 2017

@cyanPlatypus6370

It was a therapy question-dont care how they were "taught" tho....sorry

User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 February 17th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin ... Do you mean that it is a question FOR the therapist? Which is fine. I was just giving you my opinion, knowledge, experience.

User Profile: RumpleSteeleSkin
RumpleSteeleSkin February 17th, 2017

@cyanPlatypus6370

It is a forum discussion with a "therapist" right??smiley

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Yes and no. I recommend things to clients all the time that aren't currently relevant to my own life. But I also can only offer what I believe will help. I really value being emotionally healthy and so I tend to see the world through that lens and make choices in my own life based on that.

User Profile: RumpleSteeleSkin
RumpleSteeleSkin February 17th, 2017

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW

Thank you for answering me back. And that is very understandable. I think therapists need to find their own way and not be "in the book" doing therapy. But hey thats me only.smiley I am now studying to become a counselor only and so love that they teach up to date things and new things to help someone. They don't always stay in the office, but go for walks. When the topic is hard for someone they teach us to do art, write with the person many things. The sitting around in silence and staring at one another for 50 minutes is more overwhelming then getting into your car and going to therapy.

load more
load more
User Profile: Sasher
Sasher February 17th, 2017

Peace be unto you all. Can we ask any questions or specific to one topic?

User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

@Sasher

Any question! :)

load more
User Profile: JoyCS
JoyCS February 17th, 2017

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW As a therapist on 7 cups, you probably hear from your clients here about their experiences with their listeners. What do you think we as listeners do well and where would you like to see changes/improvements?

User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 February 17th, 2017

@JoyCS ... Hi Joy, I tell my counselor IRL about my Listeners on 7cups so this question is very similar :) LOL, Platy

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@JoyCS

I haven't heard much about the listeners from my clients. From what I have observed so far (I've only been here since October) you guys seem to be doing really important and helpful work. My general rule of thumb is to focus on empathy first.

load more
User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

Hannah has agreed to stay with us for 1 hour and that hour is wrapping up in the next minute or two.

Big thank you to HANNAH for volunteering her time to speak with us!

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@Laura

I will go back through and answer what was missed later on. But, I have to go! Thank you all so much for the interesting and diverse questions. It was great fun for me.

User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW

thank you for being here with us!!!

load more
load more
User Profile: Sasher
Sasher February 17th, 2017

Hiya, peace be upon you. After serious abuse from men, I am finding it almost imposible to get married, as the sensations I experience are too much to bare. Do you have any advice for me or techniques to make correct judgements?

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@Sasher

Hello. Thanks for your question. I would really recommend seeing a therapist for help with the trauma leftover from those relationships. Later on, the therapy becomes focused on paying attention to red flags and setting boundaries early on so that you are standing up for yourself from the get-go.

User Profile: Sasher
Sasher February 17th, 2017

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW I am due therapy in a few months and I am hoping it will be what we can focus on. Although sticking up for myself from the get go doesn't sound right to me. Thank you for responding.

load more
load more
User Profile: emotionalMaple9419
emotionalMaple9419 February 17th, 2017

Hannah, perhaps you may or may not know the answer to this, but if someone else does here on 7cups please feel free to chime in.....I was concerned about the confidentiality of the posts shared between client and therapist. Are we truly free to honestly share and express ourselves or are our chats flagged and read? I feel scared by this and it really bothers me. Any clarification is very appreciated.

User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

@emotionalMaple9419

Hello, i can answer this one. Yes, all chats are 100% confidential. And only read between you and your therapist or listener. You can clear the message history forever too. It will delete any record of those comments.

User Profile: emotionalMaple9419
emotionalMaple9419 February 17th, 2017

@Laura Thank you for your very quick reply! Could you please explain how to do this? I do not see how and can't seem to find any info on deleting anywhere on this site. I would hate to accidently fully delete an account or make a horrible mistake. Is it also possible to delete a single post that might be in the middle of a chain? I hate to waste people's time reading or replying to stuff that has no current need or meaning anymore... Also can I go on to a post that is already posted and add or make changes to the text? Many thanks, Laura.... Your help is very appreciated...

load more
User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@emotionalMaple9419

The posts aren't able to be seen by anyone in your chats with your therapist. There isn't that same flagging function in the chats with therapists. Sometimes it is more of an emotional fear - fear of opening up and trusting so maybe start by talking to your therapist about that part.

load more
User Profile: IronSoul
IronSoul February 17th, 2017

How do you accept your emotions? Anger, sadness, pain, etc. How do you deal with them in a healthy way? I know the answer isn't supressing them, or trying to change them. I don't want these emotions ruining my life.

User Profile: CoinFountain
CoinFountain February 18th, 2017

@IronSoul

The self-help guide under path menu has a good start to learning/practicing how to deal with emotions and things like anxiety. Someone at my doctor's office also said there's a spot in the back of your mind that is quieter where you can go to not be in the middle of all the "noise" of constant thoughts firing off in your head...which makes one more prone to react emotionally to that thought noise. She also said we are not our thoughts. Thoughts are something we "have" that may be let go of to disappear eventually as we let them wash over and past us.

load more
User Profile: blueLunch9106
blueLunch9106 February 17th, 2017

Hi. If you have tried C.B.T and you didn't get the results you need what alternatives are there and how to go about it especially for long time chronic psychosis? What can you do for this illness?

User Profile: themainjane
themainjane February 18th, 2017

@Laura

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW

Thank You BOTH so much for this discussion. I've bookmarked it so I can have it to refer to.

Laura - I am beginning to realize you ARE an incredibly busy (AND caring woman). Been realizing this the last little while - even before you used one of my questions (ha). You need like 10 assistants!! GO You - you rock!! smiley Take the weekend off! lol

Hannah - You seem very well-grounded and I think anyone would be very fortunate to have you as a counselor. Thank You for this AMA!!! and for your suggestions.

User Profile: reliableHouse9605
reliableHouse9605 February 18th, 2017

How can i not feel unhappy and uncomfortable around people even by just hearing them makes me cringe?